Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there are other barefoot mamas here on mothering. I grew up with my father telling to "put your shoes on!". I wanted to be barefoot, but was never aloud to be. One time I was playing with a friend and took off my shoes. My dad drove down the street looking for me, and I HID under a car, because I knew I would be in big trouble for going barefoot.<br><br>
Today, I can only go barefoot outside in the grass since I have broken too many toes inside going barefoot. I want my kids to go barefoot inside but not outside because I worry about them getting ringworm, (or is it hookworm), or about getting their feet cut on rocks or whatever. So recently my daughters were with a friend, whose children go barefoot, and my drove up to find one of my daughters riding a foot powered scooter BAREFOOT. I made her get her shoes on right away, and as I did, I felt guilty for making her do it. I can imagine what would happen if my ex husband found out that my kids went barefoot andgot hurt. We are already in a battle for custody.<br><br>
What do you do? Barefoot or no?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
There's a thread here:<br><br><a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=463779" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=463779</a><br><br><br>
We go barefoot a lot, but not when we bike, and certainly I wouldn't allow it on a motor scooter for safety reasons (I'd have just as harsh a reaction to said activities without a helmet for the same reasons).<br><br>
How have you managed to break toes???? In my experience I only hurt myself barefooting when I'm out of the habit/practice.<br><br>
Before you worry about parasites, check to see if they actually can be found in your area! The most common foot parasites, the foot fungi that cause discolored toenails and athlete's foot, thrive in the opposite environment to constant bare feet.<br><br>
Unsanitary conditions spread worms. Pinworm and roundworm are spread in a fecal-oral path. Hookworm can enter through the foot, but only if you step in a moist area formerly infested through feces--human or less commonly infected pet feces.<br><br>
So don't walk through raw sewage barefoot. Or fields that have been fertilized with human waste (not a large concern in the U.S., esp. in the suburbs and cities.)

·
Banned
1,154 Posts
im going through the same thing trying to decide if i feel ok with the kids going barefoot outside i do it but i know to look for things as well- they dont know they need to look where they step but i think im gonna try it at least at my house outside i think if i scan the surface they should be fine!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I'm barefoot a lot. I don't really mind the kids going barefoot because I've never hurt myself too badly.<br><br>
I like this:<br><br>
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. "<br><br>
-- from The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

·
Registered
252 Posts
This is a funny tribe!!! I never realized others did this, I thought it was just me!<br><br>
I am barefoot ALL summer. I hate shoes. I drive with no shoes. I actually got pulled over once with no shoes, and the police officer yelled at me (I was 17)! My mom never wore shoes, and never made us. I hate shoes. I take them off at church and walk around barefoot too lol. My kids are only 19 months and 6 months, but my 19 month olds have already been out without shoes on. Of course I am with them to be sure they dont step on glass, ect, but I have never had an issue with no wearing shoes and getting hurt. I dont even wear socks in the winter. I wear snadles all winter, I have having my feet contained!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't wear socks either, except when the temperatures are very bitterly cold. I wear sandals most of the winter, and my feet love the feeling of a really worn in birkenstock sandal.<br><br>
Very interesting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts