Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm doing my best to learn about BARF and hopefully implement it soon.<br><br>
My question is what about Pork? I don't see it mentioned very much when reading about what meats and bones to use.<br><br>
Also, what should I request from the butcher?<br><br>
Our puppy is about 5 months old or so and will probably be a pretty decent sized dog... lab/rott. / ??? mix (we think)<br><br>
Any advice?<br><br>
Thanks

·
Registered
794 Posts
Pork has soft bones, so you can use pork, but make sure it is human grade. It has trichinosis (pardon the spelling) so people have a tendency to stay away from it. I would not use it in large amounts, because my dogs smelled if I gave them too much.<br><br>
Pig feet, Pig tails, Pig knuckles are good candidates....because they are cheap meat; also pig neck bones....however, monitor your puppy while he chews on raw bones so he doesn't get them stuck in his throat. Neck bones from any animal except chickens can be a little dangerous...definately avoid turkey necks (they are tempting because they are huge and cheap source of meat and bone).<br><br>
Hard bones like ribs should be monitored because they can crack their teeth on them (any animal). They are okay though for a meal, but remove them when the animals are finished...do not allow them to gnaw on them after they have been laying around in the yard for awhile because they dry and get very hard and they can break their teeth on them.<br><br>
Pork can also be cooked and given to them, but pork in itself does make animals smell. Many people use it, but just be aware that some animals do develope the odor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts