Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit cryptic as the mama doesn't have all the info I think would help. Baby born via c-sec 43 weeks, fresh mec, spontaneous labour. Apgars 8 then 4. Aggressively aspirated, given antibs for unknown infection (she won't get the records and find out what it was). Is now just over 4 months and still coming out with a daily cough - sharp, bark-like. Scary actually! No wheezing, whooping, sniffling, just this dry, barking cough, once or twice and it's over. Very loud! She's been told it could be caused by the aspiration. Any other thoughts? Anyone seen this?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Has anyone considered it might be laryngomalcia?

My daughter was born 8 days after her 'due date'. Spontaneous labor. However, it was 60 hours of labor that ended in cesarean birth because the cord was wrapped around her body 3 times. There was some meconium, but was suctioned out. From the get go, she sounded like she had croup. After x-rays and what not, they still couldn't figure why she had this horrible cough and wheezing. They thought maybe when they suctioned her.... they irratated her air passageway.... Finally around 4 to 6 weeks old, we saw an ENT. It turns out she had a pretty severe case of laryngomalcia.

Here is the info on it:
http://www.pedisurg.com/pteducent/st...ngomalacia.htm

It says it doesn't begin at birth, however it did for my daughter. I had to nurse her differently (upright) and the ENT wanted her to sleep on her belly in her crib!!! (Didn't do that! Co-slept with her propped up on my arm or body.) They gave me medicine for reflux in the beginning, but I only gave it to her a few times. It didn't seem to make any difference. It can cause failure to survive if it interferes with nursing or taking a bottle. She had the caving end of tissues above or below the ribs when breathing in...due to blockage of air flow at times...but not with every breath. Colds were especially scary as she immediately sounds like she has croup with the slightest sniffle (She's almost 2 now, it's gotten better.) As a baby, you could hear her wheezing, etc when you walked into the room. Her cry sounded like a horror movie scream. Nursing, she had to stop A LOT to get her breath and sounded like a rooting piglet. LOL

But like I said, she's almost 2 now. She sounds fine unless she has a cold. She tends to get choked on more solid foods that need more chewing, but is healthy otherwise. She was cleared from the ENT around a year old.

Hope this helps. Do you think that this is it?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. He has no wheezing or snuffling associated with laryngo-thingy so while I'm wondering about it he doesn't really fit the profile in it's entirety. Perhaps it can happen to varying degrees? She won't get the records (I suspect) because she's in denial about the whole experience. Planned HBAC turned TF for foetal distress after 2 weeks stop start labour. Big emotional issues. We've talked about it numerous times and she just ignores me when I say I think she really needs his record before she can help him or decide about vaxxing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts