Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My almost 14-month old used to love bath time. At ten months she started protesting a little but now it's an all out war. She's terrified of the tub and we spend most of the time trying desperately to keep her from climbing out. It's getting so bad that I'm afraid the neighbors think we're abusing her. I tried changing the tub and giving her new bath toys but that didn't help so I went back to the old one we used. I'm at my wits end. How can I calm her fear and get her clean at the same time? TIA for your help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My daughter went through this phase, too, for about three weeks. It came out of nowhere, but we're happily back in the tub (although now she is on a no-hair-washing kick -- whatever!). Anyway, I just let it go for a few days, filling up the tub as usual and trying to rekindle her interest. What got her back in was having her help me wash Scuba Steve (one of our toys), first while she stood outside the tub, then while she stood inside the tub, then while she sat in the tub. I would tell her that she didn't need to take a bath, but that Steve did, and could she help me? I still don't know what the main issue was, but we're over the hump.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Does she have (or like) a kiddie pool? Some days my dd (16mo) doesn't want to take a bath and I've found that letting her play in her kiddie pool is a pretty good substitute. If she likes the kiddie pool maybe you could use it to help her become fond of bath time again?

Also, dd loves playing in puddles and standing in the rain. She has an inflatable toddler tub that fits inside the adult tub...I put a little water in the toddler tub, angle our hand sprayer so it makes "rain", let dd wear her red ladybug rain boots, and let her "play in the rain" while doing a quick soap/rinse.

Sitting in the tub with your little one or getting into the shower with them might also help.

good luck!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
bsanchez, I could have written your exact post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
including starting to hate it around 10 months and still going strong at 15 months. We have tried EVERYTHING from kiddie pools to shower to baby tubs to bathing with (we always do that now so we can hold our terrified dd). She seems to hate the feel of water on her head or feet, also hates being washed after meals. I keep hoping she'll grow out of it. Tonight we're going to try bathing her in her water table, which she loves...we've tried all kinds of toys, bubbles, crayons etc.

no words of wisdom here, just
as I know what you're going through.
I like wombatclay's ideas, though may try 'em!! (though dd also cries when it rains on her, so not sure about that...)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Our DD went through this around 18 or 19 months and it lasted for 2-3 weeks. It came on out of the blue and stopped just as suddenly. I mentioned it to a couple of friends who have older toddlers and they went through that, too. We bought her some bubbles to blow while she was in the tub. That didn't help immediately but eventually she wouldn't scream/resist as much. I hope this phase passes quickly for you!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts