Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been taking a bath with our DS since he was born. I didn't think much on the temp of the water until we took him to Fl last month. The outside air was humid and it was very windy. The pool water was cold to me however when I put our DS's feet in the water he didn't flinch on bit!<br>
When we finally put him into the pool water and took him out he cried wanting to be out back into the water!<br>
So, my question.... Do babys feel temperature? Hot or Cold?<br>
Is it that he couldn't tell what the temp was?<br>
Also, since I'm on the subject of baths, what kind of shampoo or body wash do you use on your DC?<br>
We have always just used water and on the occasion some soap that I make.<br>
Do they actually need soap on their delicate bodies?

·
Registered
339 Posts
i don't use soap on ds because he's highly sensitive to it. i just use water and i may use a very, very mild shampoo on his hair once a month (no more than the size of a nickel though.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don't think they are as sensitive to temperatures as we are. When the midwives delivered DD, they ran us a bath and puts herbs to help heal her umbilical cord and stop any residual bleeding from me in it. Anyway, they used a thermometer to make sure the bath was 100 degrees F. That felt like a nice, warm bath to me, so I've tried to make our baths since then about the same temperature. Before DH brings DD to me in the mornings, I take my bath, then I wash her when he brings her to me. If I notice I am sweating in the tub at all while I'm washing, I cool the bath down for DD. I guess that's my gauge, whether I'm sweating or not, LOL! I figure, too, if she's playing in the tub and not acting uncomfortable in any way, then the bath water is fine. The reason I think they may not feel temperatures like we do is because after I run hot water into our tub (it's a garden tub, so DD can reach up to the spout very easily while she's cruising around it), the spout gets really hot. Well, she's touched it before and even licked it while it was hot, with no reaction (this was all done very fast before I had time to run cool water to cool the spout down and before we had time to move her, man, babies can be fast sometimes!).<br><br>
We just use Gerber Grins and Giggles baby wash, it doesn't seem to dry DD out. I think when we have to buy more, though, I might buy Burt's Bees stuff.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Mamabird-Don't forget that the heat and humidity here in FL always makes the water feel colder initially. The pool temp was probably in the mid to upper 80's, a little cooler than a bath, and definitely cooler than our yucky humid weather here! As for bath water for ds, I make sure it's warmer to the touch-not sure what temp, just feel for the right temp and ds loves it.<br><br>
As for soaps, we use Aveeno baby bath gel and I use a tiny amount so the bottle has lasted 5 months so far! It's just enough to get his whole body washed, and I only occasionally use the Aveeno lotion after bath. I also put a few drops of lavender oil in the bath, so that may also help in keeping his skin soft.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
I bathe with my daughter all the time and the way I gauge the temperature is basically put my arm in the water, palm down so it is the inside of my arm, and if it feels good there, it is fine... as that skin is very sensitive. It is not much cooler than my usual baths, she seems to like it...<br><br>
As for bath products, we don't use anything but water either for the most part. *very* rarely, I will use a pure olive oil based soap with all natural ingredients (homemade, not by me) to go over her with, but she is too small yet to even get "dirty" ... I will sometimes use that too if she has a particularly nasty poo...otherwise, just water. I do use Burt's Bee's baby lotion though, it smells so yummy!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I second that the Burt's Bees lotion smells yummy! DD always smelled so great when she was little while she was peeling her waterlogged skin after the birth (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about).<br><br>
She thinks it TASTES yummy, too. She's always grabbing the bottle now and sucking on the pump part. I take it away from her, but I don't really think there's anything in there that's going to hurt her too bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts