Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at what age do you let the kids bathe themselves.
i watch the three year old in the bath but she washes herself and can get out by herself.
but should i be watching my 5 year old?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
My 6 year old still needs supervision and reminders to keep going, or he would goof off and be in there forever. My kids (boy 6, girl 3.5) still take a bath together as they enjoy playing in the water together. About the time he turned 6, I started having him wash all of himself except for the hair as that is trickier. Her I still wash. Neither of them cares about privacy yet, so I will worry about that when the time comes. I expect that when he starts wanting privacy, I'll have him switch to showers as that will probably be easier.

So my answer is...depends on the kid.
If they want privacy, and can do a good job washing themselves, fine. If they still need a bit of extra help, like my kid, fine also.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
My 4yo can wash himself but not get out safely yet. I do sometimes come and go-grab a towel, stuff a diaper, etc-stuff within hearing distance. And he's old enough to know not to try and get out. But usually its also playtime and he wants me there to play froggies with him!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
MY DD is 6.5 shes still needs my help with her hair or she'll use an entire bottle of pricy shampoo and put like one cup on water to rinse it. Her body shes can do fine though and I'm totally fine with her playing till she is all pruny and ready to come out.

Deanna

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Well my 6 year old still can't wash his hair. He washes his own body, but often I put soap onto the poof thing for him. I don't sit in there and watch him, and have left him alone to play for a couple of years now. I can hear him talk & we live in a small apartment where the bathroom is in view from just about anywhere in the place. I still help him get out, dry off and hand PJ's to him.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My DS4 washes himself except his hair with my prompting. I thought it was important that he start learning that his private areas were his to take care of and touch....but washing with soap is an everyother night thing because of skin issues.

I do the "short trips in and out" every now and then, but for the most part he wants me in there to keep him company.

I could trust him to get out and grab a towel, but I just worry too much about him slipping and cracking his head. Besides, he likes me to "wrap him up like a tootsie roll" and sling him on the bed. Lol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 5yo DD can shower or bathe alone. If she takes a shower I turn the water on and off for her and make sure the soap/shampoo/cond. is within reach and then she can wash,condition, and rinse her own hair and wash her body.

In the bath I would help her wash her hair if we were doing that only b/c the water would need to get turned off and on for rinsing and the hot can come out too hot at first.

I am not big on supevising either of my kids with washing their bodies, I think sitting in the water and a some bubble from the bubble bath are plenty to get them clean enough most days (I am more anal if it has been a day where they have worn sunscreen or bug spray).

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well shampoo isnt an issue as my kids are mostly no-poo'ed

i usually help them with thier towel and help them put thier toys away but i have found myself just leaving my 5yo to bathe alone. last night i walked by and said 'no drowning okay' and she just rolled her eyes at me and said 'well duh'

shes pretty precocious though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
last night i walked by and said 'no drowning okay' and she just rolled her eyes at me and said 'well duh'

shes pretty precocious though.
Ah, the 5 yo eye roll. My DD has perfected this! I am thinking once they are old enough to understand the sarcasm involved in the eye roll they can bathe alone

·
Registered
249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by octobermom View Post
MY DD is 6.5 shes still needs my help with her hair or she'll use an entire bottle of pricy shampoo and put like one cup on water to rinse it. Her body shes can do fine though and I'm totally fine with her playing till she is all pruny and ready to come out.

Deanna
haha thats my DD too she came out a few times and would complain about itchy hair the next day, turns out there was a good amount of shampoo in it still. we supervise the washing and rinsing at 7years old still.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by snapper mamma View Post
Ah, the 5 yo eye roll. My DD has perfected this! I am thinking once they are old enough to understand the sarcasm involved in the eye roll they can bathe alone

i like that.

though sandrel has been using sarcasm since 2.
im starting to think that it should be one of those things based on the individual child.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My 5 y/o is not close to being able to wash her hair yet. She can get it as wet as can be but no chance in actually rinsing it enough. She does have really think hair so it takes a lot to get all the soap out. I remember being at a campground when I was about 8 the first time I did EVERYTHING myself. I turned out ok, hehe.

We don't take baths a TON and she usually takes a bath with DD2 though so one of us is usually in there most of the time. Does make me wonder how she would do by herself.....

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
My 8 year old is showering on his own, though I don't think he does a very good job of getting himself clean...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
My kids still take their bath together. I don't usually count on a lot of *cleaning*. Mostly just playing! Dd likes to play with the soap. The bathwater is usually soapy enough to get them at least a bit clean.

Dd is 4 and will wash her own hair and her 7 yo brother's. I'll probably have to make a daily trek to ds's college DORM ROOM to get him cleaned up. I'm still amazed that he ever conceded to wiping his own bottom.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Around 7, I think. When they switched to showers. My youngest is six and I do help her wash her hair. I don't sit there and bathe her, but I hang out close by. Actually, I usually clean the bathroom while she's in there so I can get two things done!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.