Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about EC since DS was born, I lived in India for a year as a child and EC is just the way that children go potty. I just thought that it would be harder in a first world nation.
My DS is 14mos, and has really good signals. So I have been placing him on the toilet everytime I see his poop face, and sometimes he goes others he clamps up. (he is afraid his poop will hurt because of previous injury)
If I let him he will go in the bathtub everytime. I am getting a little tired of having to clean out my tub everyday, and disinfecting all his tub toys. But I do not show him that pooping in the bathtub is "wrong" I want him to relax and have a good pooping experiance. I always praise him every time he poops.
Do you think that I am doing the right thing? Should I go get a potty (if so what type?) Do some kids just like to poop in water?
FYI > he holds in his poops (see my thread in Toddlers) and rarely goes in his diaper, but as soon as he hits the water out it comes.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Sounds like what you really need is some sort of bidet system. My guess is that the warm water lets his little muscles relax so that he can poop. A potty you set in the bath tub and fill with warm water might let him poop while being easier for you to clean up. And if he gets used to pooping in the potty maybe you could gradually add less warm water and he'd still be able to relax?

Poor little guy! And poor you for having to clean up the tub all the time!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
It may just be the simple fact that he's sitting comfortably in the tub. I'd suggest a potty or at least a toilet insert that he can sit and relax on without support (phtysically) from you or his bum hangin' in the toilet.

I know my guy won't poop unless he's sitting properly and feels secure. Like we went camping one weekend and I didn't bother briniging the potty, and no poops...he needs to sit comfortably, not held in the pottying position or with his bum unsupported.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think therecan be a response between praise and screeching, "Dear God! Not in the tub water!" (Which is pretty much how my mom would respond.) I found that praise wasn't very helpful in my own EC experience. If she only used her potty to make me happy, that was an inconsistent motivation--she liked parise as much as the next kid, but some days she didn't really care if I was happy and some days she was out to tick me off. You can just let him poop in the tub and then casually, calmly mention that pooping in the tub makes a mess that takes a long time to clean and that the toilet (or potty) is superior in that respect. Suggest that next time he needs to poop, he can try the toilet or potty instead and you'll point out the difference. At 14 months he'll understand much more than he can say.

If the water really is critical, you could get a small potty and fill it with warm water. For it to be full enough for him to actually contact the water means that there will be overflow, both when he sits down and when the poop comes out. You'll want to set it in the tub or outside or in a basin of some kind. And obviously you'll want to lower the water levels and then eliminate the water as soon as he's comfortable with the potty.

But I'd start just by withdrawing the praise for pooping in the tub, replacing it with calm conversation about the drawbacks of tub pooping, and praising (for a while) any success he has on the potty or toilet. Long term, pooping has to be its own reward, so praising him for pooping is sort of a short term solution. You can always point out how it must feel so good to have gotten the poop out, or tell him how happy it makes you that he is having healthy bowel movements. I don't think you have to go all stone-faced. Just be sincere about what you feel and talk about what he must feel.

Also, if he bathes at the same time everyday, change bathtime and put a potty session on the schedule for when bath used to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.