Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks...i'm almost 6 mos. pp and my doc is inserting the Mirena IUD next week...I've read the bits of info that I could find online about the hormones in the device and the effect on my body...I wanna know how it may affect my ds.

has anyone got firsthand advice/experience using this bc and still bfing their babes? Is it a good method? - pssst...dh and I HATE condoms.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
it has the same hormones as the mini pill i think

i took the mini pill from 6 months to over 2 years with my oldest dd & it didnt effect my milk supply & as far as i can tell her at all (shes 5 now)

there is also the paraguard (aka known as copper T) IUD which has no hormones. i had one from 6 weeks with my youngest daughter untill last month.. I loved it.. UNFORTUNETLY..my body started revolting or something.. i partially expelled the first 1 i had over a year , had it removed, a new one placed & partially expelled it in less then a week.
I dunno WTF was up with that.. but i havent heard of it happening with many women. i was just that lucky i guess
:

so.. now im back on the mini pill.. no change ive seen in milk supply or my toddler (15 months now) .
i just SUCK at remembering to take it & my period came way to dang early.. hopefully it'll be back on track soon
:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Had my Mirena inserted at 6 weeks PP and nursed for another three years, including 14 months of pumping when I went back to work. Loved it. getting another one.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
It possibly caused my milk to dry up but there were many factors during that time period so I am not for sure. Basically I had it inserted when ds was 3 mos old. A month later I went from spraying it across the room to not even a drop. I had been exclusively breastfeeding, no solids or anything like that yet, and I was a SAHM. The thing is I dried up exactly 2 days after dh left for deployment and I was SUPER stressed. So that could have been it as well. I've never really been able to figure out what caused it. However I DO like my IUD. I'm going to have it removed soon so we ttc again and I do plan on having another put in after giving birth. I kind of figure if I notice any dip in my supply that I will go and have it removed immediately. It is the same hormones as the mini-pill like pp said.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks mommas...sounds like Mirena is a good thing then...I gotta do something 'cause my dh has no health insurance and altho we'd do the vasectomey, we can't afford it right now.

I sure hope I don't get the acne and weight gain that I've read about...if my ds avoids any hormone related issues, then life'll be perfect!

Hugs to y'all for your input!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi. I posted in the other bc-related topic a minute ago. My doc said that they've had issues with the Mirena and ruptures, but as you know, things happen and that shouldn't sway you one way or another. I chose the paragard for that reason and b/c I didn't want ANY hormones this time....

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I looooooove my Mirena - it's by far the best BC I've ever used! So easy! I haven't had any supply issues. I had it inserted when DD was about 12weeks (used the mini-pill before that) and we're nursing strong at almost 16 months.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I've had two Mirenas, both times inserted at 6 weeks pp and both times breastfed with no supply issues whatsoever. Breastfed for over a year; with my current baby still breastfeeding at nearly 2 years of age. I had a lot of problems with the hormones in BC pills; but the trace hormones in Mirena have not affected me at all - except to nearly eliminate menstrual flow, which I love!
:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have one and LOVE it. Nothing to think about or remember. The hormone is progesterone, the same on in the mini pill. The blood level is much lower though than with a minipill. I have had NO issues with supply, still nursing strong 5 months later!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts