Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read some other due date clubs threads about thier swaps and a lot of them had lost or broken beads, so maybe we could put a bit of bubble wrap or tissue around ours to head that problem off. Or any other ideas? I guess they a lot of envelopes came with holes in them and the beads gone.

I was also wondering the size of the beads is there a minimum size or maximum? Or is it just what you feel like?

One site that was recommended was a rosary bead site and it had some neat ones: glass, semi-precious, metal, crystal, and I think a few more types. http://www.rosaryshop.com/ go to Rosaries, Kits, and Parts, then Rosary Parts and tools, then beads.

There was also mention of this site http://www.gentlebeginnings.org/birth_affirmations.htm with birth afirmations.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I hadn't thought about lost beads....hmmmm. It would be best if the bead were encased in something like a little baggie, for sure. Beyond that would depend on the kind of bead you buy. Wood or metal ones wouldn't need bubble wrap but glass or ceramic would definitely need some protection.

As for the size of the bead I was thinking something along the lines of the size of those rosery beads on that site you linked, though I don't know the mm size. Just something that would look nice strung together to make a bracelt or necklace, yk?

Shannon

·
Registered
766 Posts
A little bubble-wrap envelope should head off problems! You can get them for 75 cents, they are not expensive!

One option to the bead is a charm... One of my friends did birth beads at her baby shower and she got quite a few dangling charms as well as beads.. the bracelet looked really beautiful when it was done! I don't know a good place to find inexpensive charms though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by steffanie3
I have read some other due date clubs threads about thier swaps and a lot of them had lost or broken beads, so maybe we could put a bit of bubble wrap or tissue around ours to head that problem off. Or any other ideas? I guess they a lot of envelopes came with holes in them and the beads gone.

I was also wondering the size of the beads is there a minimum size or maximum? Or is it just what you feel like?

One site that was recommended was a rosary bead site and it had some neat ones: glass, semi-precious, metal, crystal, and I think a few more types. http://www.rosaryshop.com/ go to Rosaries, Kits, and Parts, then Rosary Parts and tools, then beads.

There was also mention of this site http://www.gentlebeginnings.org/birth_affirmations.htm with birth afirmations.
I really, really think it would be a better idea to have all beads mailed to one mama and have the packages assembled and shipped from there. I'm not at all confident that all my beads will arrive safe and sound from so many places, and I'd hate for someone on the list to not send and still get beads in return, yk?

I'll volunteer to do it if no one else wants to do it. Otherwise, I'm really not sure I want to participate in the swap.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some groups did it this way, some did direct to the person. I think it would actually save on shipping if we sent to one person, I would also be willing to be the contact person as well.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Is it too late to get in on the swap? I have wonderful unique beads coming out of my ears from when I first opened my business...I collected alot of glass beads and lately have been looking at them sitting unused...I wanted to make a birth chain out of beads and I think this is wonderful...but am I day and dollar too short to join in?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sorry I'm just now getting onto the site today! I think sending them all to one person & having them distributed from there is a good idea, too. If everyone encloses a SASE in with their beads it'll save considerably on packaging & shipping costs, like Stephanie said.

A good way to judge how much postage to put on your return envelope is to weigh your package with the return envelope inside & however many stamps you need for the initial package, just add an additional one to the return envelope to cover any extra weight from the different beads you'll be getting back (ex. the one you mail to the hostess has 2 stamps on it so you'll put 3 on your SASE). I hope that made sense. I'm not working with a full load tonight, iykwim. LOL

Why don't we all send them to Cami (BunnyMcFluff), since she was the first one who volunteered to host. Try to get them sent off a.s.a.p., though, so she can get them all & turn around & send them out. I'd hate for the one momma who's moving to not get hers in time, yk? You all have her addy on the list.

Thanks for all the volunteers!! You ladies are making this really smooth & easy. I can't wait to get mine!!

Shannon

·
Registered
702 Posts
LeighAnne, so far the concensus is it's not a problem to add you to the swap. I've only heard from about 6 of the 17 others so far, though, but it probably will be just fine. I agree....the more the merrier! I know I haven't bought my beads yet, either.

Shannon

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sounds great. Rather than sending a SASE, though, I'll get the packages together and then split the shipping+mailers 15 ways and let everyone know the totals. The participants can either paypal me or snail mail me.

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
I like the idea of sending everything to 1 mom too. Do we include something to string them on?

And LeighAnne, welcome! Glad you could join the swap!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I think it is a wonderful idea to send them all to one mama....and I am up for either paypal to pay shipping or SASE...just let me know

Also, a big thank you to everyone for being open to changing the swap date! I am the mama that is moving
and I really appreciate it -

Shannon, did you send out the lists yet? via email or pm...I didn't get one, just want to make sure I buy enough beads....

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think some mamas might want to string them themselves in a way special to them and it would save on turnaround time.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think the idea to send to one person is great and paypaling sounds good too. I do want to string my own beads. I'm having a blessing way and I'd like to string your gals beads with my other ones.

Looking forward to this!

·
Registered
828 Posts
I like the plan to send them all to Cami. Thanks for volunteering, by the way! Just to double-check, there are 19 of us, right? So if I send 18 (keeping one for myself) that'll take care of everyone? I'd just hate to short change somebody.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Buying the beads was so much fun, I could get into that
I did order from another place because the rosary site was high shipping, I thought for what I was going to order. I ordered from http://www.artbeads.com they had free shipping with no minimum and take paypal. I wish I had a bead shop around here now to check it out in person.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts