Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else besides me may have to pass around more bean dip than you would like? I have a college professor brother who I think doesn't quite approve of our home/unschooling.

Bean dip?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Luckily, my husband's family is coming for Thanksgiving and they are very supportive. I may have to do some explaining and theory discussion but they are very open minded and have never questioned any of our decisions. Too bad I can't say the same for my side of the family.

AM

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I may need to bring a little bean dip but my family has finally kinda gotten used to our hs'ing. To be honest, the one that kind of bugs me about it is my 17 year old niece who has taken some ROP child development classes. She thinks that hs'ing isnt good for my kids
she may need some bean dip

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thanks sapphire, that article was great!

I was just talking about this very thing with my mom this morning...I'm starting hs next week and she was suggesting to me that I write out my explanations so I won't get flustered when people ask about it. I told her that it's probably better just to say "We researched it a lot and decided that it's what's best for our family." I had in mind that I didn't want to sound like I was attacking people whose kids are in ps, but I wasn't thinking (until I read that article) that giving too many explanations gives the impression that the subject is open for debate.

I'll have to remember the bean dip over the upcoming holidays.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lauradbg View Post
Who else besides me may have to pass around more bean dip than you would like? I have a college professor brother who I think doesn't quite approve of our home/unschooling.

Bean dip?
I don't pass bean dip, except in rare occasions. I tell people to mind their own business.

I homeschooled my son last year. I got support and grief. I told those who wouldn't leave it alone that I am the parent and Dh, and WE choose what is best for our kids.

Like last Sunday, my one SIL cornered my DH and told him we need to be in church more. I told her she has a lot of other family members she could be concerned about, who have worse problems than not being in church.

I get tired of people being in my business and I tell them about it.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I often just look at people and vaguely say "Yeah ..." when they criticize or make oddball statements (like my one sister who loves to tell me that only certified teachers are capable of teaching kids what they need to know). I also tell people, "Well, my kids are healthy, happy, and smart, so I must be doing something right!" They either realize a)I'm not going to discuss further b)They are being rude or c)They are wrong and let it drop.

Namaste!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharmamama View Post
I also tell people, "Well, my kids are healthy, happy, and smart, so I must be doing something right!" They either realize a)I'm not going to discuss further b)They are being rude or c)They are wrong and let it drop.
That's wonderful! How many people are going to dare to argue with you on that?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I get vats of beandip ready for the holidays.

When the beandip doesn't work...I ty blatant beandipping. Radically changing the conversation.

Most intelligent adults drop their little bone right there. Others like to gnaw on that dang bone til I have had it and am forced to say "Mind your own business."

Last time it was "You raise your child , I'll raise mine. End of discussion." When she didn't drop it....

we left.

Guess who I'm seeing tomorrow ???

Thankfully (yes there is a pun in there somewhere) I'll have dh with me and he's my biggest supporter.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My son is a later reader--he's 8. He reads a little now, just a little. We're unschoolers. I am a little worried that my brother will start quizing my son now that he's a little older; he wouldn't have done that when he was little, but now there's a greater expectation of ability.

I shouldn't worry. My brother's not totally opposed (wouldn't matter if he did) but, I don't like people quizing my kid.

Last soccer season the very nice coach asked my son what his favorite subject was, after finding out that we homeschool. My son thought very hard and then chirped enthusiastically, "Wizards!"...The coach thought that was cute. Whenever there's that kind of encounter I realize how WAY outside the norm we are in terms of learning. My kids don't really know the world as separate subjects to learn or be conquered. I don't quiz them to know what they know. We have conversations and I know what they know or don't know.

I think I'm just going to say something silmilar to what dharmamama says, "The kids are happy and bright, so it's working for us...would you like some bean dip?"

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Laura

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't have to offer anyone any bean dip--we all just had fun. It was a very nice visit with my family.

My son did really well at Pictionary too! I read him the clue and he did amazing, clear, quick drawings. He was also very good at guessing what other people's drawings were.

I hope you all had a relaxing, happy day with your loved ones.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Quote:
I am a little worried that my brother will start quizing my son now that he's a little older;
Once some found out that we were homeschooling, my son used to get that from total strangers. You could teach your son to say, "I'm learning enough to keep me busy."

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Quote:
I am a little worried that my brother will start quizing my son now that he's a little older;
forget the bean dip, Id have to slap him upside his head. Infact my mom stayed with us for two weeks (Im in the uk, from the usa). the first week, we tried to keep things as normal as poss but the kids hardly cooperated and my mom sat there giving me what I interpreted as evils, daggers. But it was ok because I used my jedi mind trick on her and she was fine the second week
Thats what Id do if my brother had some issues with my kids homeschooling. Id do my jedi mind tricks on him. Id be like 'you dont have a problem with homeschooling (wave my hand). In fact you wish you were homeschooled.'

Id actually say that out loud and then the focus would be on how cool it was that I was a jedi and not on my homeschooling.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
On a serious note. I think for me its been important to have confidence in myself and the decision we as a family made to homeschool. Confidence is key. But I love bean dip... and slapping people upside the head... and jedi mind tricks.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I guess I need to use the Force more. Jedi mind tricks are cool...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts