Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else besides me may have to pass around more bean dip than you would like? I have a college professor brother who I think doesn't quite approve of our home/unschooling.

Bean dip?

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My son is a later reader--he's 8. He reads a little now, just a little. We're unschoolers. I am a little worried that my brother will start quizing my son now that he's a little older; he wouldn't have done that when he was little, but now there's a greater expectation of ability.

I shouldn't worry. My brother's not totally opposed (wouldn't matter if he did) but, I don't like people quizing my kid.

Last soccer season the very nice coach asked my son what his favorite subject was, after finding out that we homeschool. My son thought very hard and then chirped enthusiastically, "Wizards!"...The coach thought that was cute. Whenever there's that kind of encounter I realize how WAY outside the norm we are in terms of learning. My kids don't really know the world as separate subjects to learn or be conquered. I don't quiz them to know what they know. We have conversations and I know what they know or don't know.

I think I'm just going to say something silmilar to what dharmamama says, "The kids are happy and bright, so it's working for us...would you like some bean dip?"

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Laura

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't have to offer anyone any bean dip--we all just had fun. It was a very nice visit with my family.

My son did really well at Pictionary too! I read him the clue and he did amazing, clear, quick drawings. He was also very good at guessing what other people's drawings were.

I hope you all had a relaxing, happy day with your loved ones.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I guess I need to use the Force more. Jedi mind tricks are cool...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.