Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that some of you have done bean teepees with Scarlett runner beans for your kiddos. Anytips on making one. Use Bamboo poles, would 6' ones work for a 3yr old, I want it plenty big to make it fun. Also, do the beans cover to the ground or should you plant some low flowers around the edge?

Any other experience with them to share?

Would Morning Glorys take over the beans?

Rebecca

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
they could...I have wild morning glories that take over everything but when i actually planted some, they didn't.
I am sure there is a difference but I don't know what it is.

the beans just need some help now and again to keep on the pole and then they are good.

have fun!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but we have lots of woods around us. You could cut down tall young saplings if you wanted longer than 6 foot bamboo... we're going to do one of these this year, and I was wondering if I could start with peas and later interplant beans... the morning glories are a cool idea, as long as they don't kill off the beans. I was thinkign about putting cherry tomatoes around the doorway too...

·
Registered
255 Posts
We did the 6 foot poles with 3 different beans last year (scarlet runner, hyacinth, and something else). I think I had 2 plants at the base of each of 5 or 6 poles. The beans covered well, but sadly the tee pee wasn't big enough for my 2 year old to go into. If you have the space get 8 foot poles!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.