Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fairly light 3 year old (maybe 33#-ish). My grandmother is turning 80 next month and we just found out that there is going to be a huge family reunion. (My dad is one of 8 so it'll be huge with all the aunts/uncles/cousins, etc. coming in from all over the country. This is a major deal as it is likely one of the last times the whole crew will come together.) That said, traveling around holidays SUCKS. I want to have an easy carrier to manage the kiddo in.

I'm wondering whether you'd recommend the Beco or the Patapum? The cost savings on the Patapum is huge but I figured I'd just ask in case there was something particularly great about the Beco I didn't know.

Thanks!!
Jenn

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by motheringtao View Post
Biased vote here.
Beco hands down!

Aside from the obvious -- can you tell me *why* you like the Beco so much more than Patapum?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
The Patapum is way more affordable and I thought for sure that my very tall and heavy toddler would fit. But some how, it just never worked. But it did for my dh (although he never used it for long periods of time and his reason was that he liked the masculine color).

I liked the Beco because it's also not too bulky (like the Patapum) but the way the shoulder straps are joined at the body works better for me. It's easier for me to adjust and my ds' legs don't get pinched (he has chubby legs). Over all, the biggest problem with the Patapum for me was the waist belt. It's a little more padded than the Beco but the shape or the material makes it sit very funny on me. Hope that makes sense.

The Toddler Patapum does come with a nice little waist pouch, which was very helpful for running around in the city when we lived in NYC.

Confession: I'm a sucker for fabulous print. That's the shallow reason.

Hope I've answered your question.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Any other opinions? Thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there. I am researching the same question... I have a 2 year old 30#er, solid boy. Researched 1 year ago Patapum, Ergo and Beco. Tried the first two, and Ergo was more comfy. Couldn't bring myself to spend all that $ for a Beco, so never tried it... until now (borrowed friend's 4th gen one).

My thoughts. Patapum side webbing was WAY too short to be comfy (last year) . Don't know why the side straps that attach to the body were so short (I am 5"2 and size 7/9),design flaw I presume. Loved the hood though. Apparently they have revised the design but don't know if they fixed that problem. Anyway, I sold it. But had the webbing been right, I might have kept it, and then traded it in for a toddler one.

In the meantime, I found a brand new Ergo for a fabulous price. The Ergo has worked wonderfully, and is soo comfy. I am a minimalist, practical and want a superior and functional product. So for me, the Ergo is perfect! Fabric color is secondary to me in importance. And, baby boy loves it.

I just this evening tried the Beco 4th Gen on my boy b/c now he is taller and the Ergo comes up to 3/4 up on his back, and when he naps in there, I have to lean slightly forward (not comfy) so he doesn't flop back. He does not like wearing the hood, so that does not help hold him in. Sad to have to find an Ergo replacement (would be great if they just redesigned or offered a toddler version...)

(Anyway, looks like Toddler Patapum has also been redesigned, so hopefully it will work now. I have not checked it out though, but will soon...) Anway I was VERY disappointed w/the Beco. IMO it feels flimsy compared to both Patapum and Ergo. Again maybe because I want something functional that will last for all that $ spent. For me, the straps were minimally padded. The fabric does not feel super sturdy to me. The waist belt and shoulder straps are just very flimsy, in my opinion (especially compared to the sewing of either Patapum or Ergo). For such a heavy baby, I need serious padding, like the Ergo. Also, the Waist belt rode up, and just did not fit as well as the Ergo. Most importantly, my 30# boy just did not fit well ( he is not fat, just solid) in the Beco. He sagged in there. Again it felt flimsy for the price. I tried to imagine myself w/the Beco and babe on a 1 hr hike and just couldn't. So NO Beco.

Now, Beco has the BWD version they just came out with so it is possible that this version would work better for me than the 4th Gen, but to tell you the truth I am doubtful. I have another friend who did just buy the BWD version, so I will ask her next if I can try it out.

I will report back.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Just want to point out that the 4th Generation is not in the same breed as the Ergo or Patapum. There are reasons for the Decorator weight fabric rather than the heavy canvas used in Ergo & Patapum.

1) For the purpose of being lightweight. Less bulk on you and less weight.
2) To give the body some contour for the baby.

The design of it requires that the wearer to position the carrier & adjust it differently than the canvas carriers. In other words, where you'd wear an Ergo and a Patapum is not where you'd wear a Beco (at least, in my experience). And the lightweight padding serves a purpose. It doesn't add that extra bulk to dig into your shoulders.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick update -- I ended up going with the Toddler Patapum. The price difference just was too great. Plus I'd tried my friends Patapum anbd found it incredibly comfortable. I'm super happy with it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.