Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shes 22, a mother of one. Ive known her about 3yrs and in that time she has mostly been really okay with being overweight. She always said she loves food, enjoys it, and would rather be happy and overweight than thin and unhappy trying to diet.<br><br>
She isnt huge, shes I think 30 lbs overweight which isnt obese for her height.<br><br>
However I spoke to her yesterday and noticed her jeans looked a bit loose on her thighs and her face definately looked a bit slimmer than usual. I commented on it and she said she doesnt know if shes lost weight as she isnt weighing herself anymore, but she did tell me for the past week she has been consuming 300 calories a day instead of her usual 2500+ a day.<br><br>
Obviously im concerned, is this safe? Im guessing it will be too hard for her to stick to that low amount and she has to give into hunger at some point soon. It isnt the type of lasting diet for healthy people, and definately not for someone who loves her food, correct? Your thoughts?

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
it's not "safe" but i'm not sure what you can do/say about it, to be honest.<br><br>
i would think that she's doing this as a temporary thing, and that she will likely go back to a more balanced caloric intake over time.<br><br>
encourage her to move up to at least her metabolic rate--about 1500 calories or so.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
300 calories a day will kill her. She needs 1200 to maintain body functions. Is she doing it on purpose or is her life so hectic right now that's all she's found time for?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She doesnt seem to want to discuss it with me, I brought it up twice today and she changed the subject just saying "the results are quick so im doing it as long as I can". So...I offered her dinner as I was already cooking it by then, she refused "because of my diet I cant", but as she watched us eating it she couldnt resist any longer and had 2 big plate fulls! Im glad because I know shes eaten well at least for today, before that she looked really pale and I heard her stomach rumbling 2 or 3 times before dinner..so she must have been starving. Im concerned about whether shes going to quit the diet now or if she'll feel guilty for over-eating-as she'll see it, and be even stricter with herself by eating even less or by trying to work off that big meal exercising. I wont see her again until friday, so I'll know then. What do you think is most likely here? Im hoping she'll just forget it and go back to normal, even if it means shes upset for a few days feeling like she failed.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
It sounds like she doesn't know a lot about healthy weight loss or good nutrition if she's crash dieting like that.<br><br>
Could you volunteer to join Weight Watchers with her? There are much easier and healthier ways to lose weight.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
300 calories a day for one day or even a few days isn't going to do any long term damage. If she maintains that for the long haul, then it can lead to all kinds of problems- but short terms fasts have been used for thousands of years without any ill effects.<br><br>
With her sudden strict diet, followed by "binging", I can see two possible outcomes. One is that she's realized this isn't a safe thing to do and she'll try something more reasonable and safe. The other is that she's heading towards an eating disorder- any chance she made herself vomit after those two huge platefuls of food? Her unwillingness to talk about it leads me to think that she's at risk of an eating disorder.<br><br>
I would try to send her some information about healthy diets, preferably something she can do on her own. I don't get the feeling she'd like going to Weight Watcher's meetings and weighing in in front of others, having to discuss what she ate that week with the group leader, etc.<br><br>
She might do well with low carb, as that doesnt' require strict portion sizes or cutting calories- if your'e still hungry you can eat more lowcarb food. Or maybe she'd prefer something like weight watchers or even slim fast (when used as directed, using shakes to replace 1-2 meals per day, it's a fairly safe and effective program.)<br><br>
The bottom line is that she obviously wants to lose weight, and needs to be educated in how to do so safely, otherwise she may do herself a lot of harm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts