Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, I still occasionally eat meat, mostly because DH would NEVER become a vegetarian. Though he doesn't eat much meat, since I do most of the cooking. Anyway, I don't eat much, chicken or fish maybe once a week. I'm hoping to reduce that even further. I do eat eggs and dairy, though not a ton.

My question is, besides a multivitamin, what do you feel you need to take to supplement your veg diet? Right now I take a calcium/D, lots of iron (due to a m/c hemmorage) and a prenatal multi. I try to eat a variety of natural, whole foods, and I prefer to get what I need that way, but I wonder if my diet is lacking in some way.

I'd love to hear what you do. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I don't think you need to supplement anymore with a veg diet than with an omnivore diet. Just eat lots of beans.

I'm all in favor of supplementing whenever there seems to be a need for it, with physical or mental health issues, regardless of your diet.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I don't take any supplements other than the very rare multi. I think people take too many vitamins when they don't really need them, and most of the time it's a waste of money and just puts unnecessary pressure on your kidneys to filter out the excess.

Ftr, I get my blood fully screened several times a year (I have an autoimmune disorder and hematologists looooooooooooooove blood tests - I usually have 7 or 8 vials drawn and they check *everything*) and I have never had any deficiency. I never even got close to being anemic when I was pregnant, and I've been vegan for almost a decade.

My advice would be to get a blood panel done next time you go to the doctor and see if there's really anything you need.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I suppose it is in your prenatal already but I can't stress b12 enough!!! Since you're a vegetarian you will probably get it from animal sources but I'd at least have it checked after some time (like a year). It's so important. Other than that just eat iron rich foods (oh, sorry, I read you already are). I take zinc but I'm vegan and trying to conceive, so not necessary for all.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post

My advice would be to get a blood panel done next time you go to the doctor and see if there's really anything you need.
I second that, though if you're missing anything later it won't show up just yet. Vegetarianism is very healthy, so I think you'll be fine

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Neither chicken nor fish are particularly good sources of iron anyway.

I take a multi when pregnant, nursing, or restricting my caloric intake, and I make sure I've got a reliable b-12 all the time, but I'm vegan.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much!

I really do feel that we should be able to get what we need from our diets - it's not like our bodies evolved over millions of years with the help of GNC or CVS - but I've been over-thinking everything lately. With all my recent miscarriages and migraine and insomnia problems I guess I'm hoping for a simple answer. The blood work idea sounds like a good one. For the time being I think I may add some B12. Those of you who do take it, do you just take that, or is there a good reason to take a combo B vitamin supplement?

Thanks for helping!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
If you were to go vegan, I would suggest either flax oil or DHA. (If you want to debate the pros/cons of those do a search, it's been done to death here in the past.)

I'm ovo-pesce veg and tandem nursing and I still take a prenatal multi that includes veg. DHA, extra iron (anemic while pg, haven't had a test recently), extra calcium. It does seem like a lot of pills, but I'd rather supp even if I don't need it than find out by being deficient that I do need it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boysmom2 View Post
Thanks so much!

I really do feel that we should be able to get what we need from our diets - it's not like our bodies evolved over millions of years with the help of GNC or CVS - but I've been over-thinking everything lately. With all my recent miscarriages and migraine and insomnia problems I guess I'm hoping for a simple answer. The blood work idea sounds like a good one. For the time being I think I may add some B12. Those of you who do take it, do you just take that, or is there a good reason to take a combo B vitamin supplement?

Thanks for helping!
I have never seen it not in a combo here, it was always combined with folic acid and other b vitamins. We also have enriched juice (b12 and vit c).

·
Registered
173 Posts
When I was a pregnant vegetarian I took Floradix for iron and a prenatal made from whole foods.

As a vegan mother of a three year old I take B12 and so does my son.

If you are eating a whole foods diet that is varied and you are getting enough calories and fat and everything else you shouldn't need multi's or other things unless of course you go vegan than a B12 supplement should be added.

good luck and never say never about your husband.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
We're vegetarian w/very little dairy/eggs.

I am nursing, so I still take my prenatal. I also take iron each day. I was anemic during the pregnancy (which has happened during all three pregnancies and this was the first I was veg, so that isn't why) and then after delivery I had to have two blood transfusions, so I'm still taking the extra iron until I'm maintaining a normal level.

Just this week I started taking a vegan DHA supplement. I'm seeing if that helps with mood issues. I've heard a deficiency can affect that.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vgnmama2keller View Post
When I was a pregnant vegetarian I took Floradix for iron and a prenatal made from whole foods.

As a vegan mother of a three year old I take B12 and so does my son.

If you are eating a whole foods diet that is varied and you are getting enough calories and fat and everything else you shouldn't need multi's or other things unless of course you go vegan than a B12 supplement should be added.

good luck and never say never about your husband.

Can you explain why vegans need B-12? How 'bout people who eat all raw foods? Do you also recommend B-12 (or other things) for them?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrskennedy View Post
Can you explain why vegans need B-12? How 'bout people who eat all raw foods? Do you also recommend B-12 (or other things) for them?
Thanks!

This article Troubleshooting Prolems in Raw-Food and Living-Foods Diets might be of interest to you.

Here is a quote from the section on B-12

Quote:
Vitamin B-12 deficiency
Algae, chlorella, spirulina are not reliable sources. (They contain "analogue" forms of B-12 which recent research has shown the body cannot use, and which can block/crowd out uptake of the needed form.) Also expensive, and some are sold by the inefficient, unpopular method of multi-level marketing.

Supplements are best source for vegans: reliable, cheap.

Supplements not required if you eat raw dairy or are an instincto.

Blood test for B-12 is available--see your physician.

Symptoms of B-12 deficiency usually appear very slowly. But do not ignore them if they appear: tingling in the extremities is a cardinal sign, and unusual or persistent fatigue/lassitude can be an additional potential sign.

High sugar consumption (fruitarians take note) can accelerate and aggravate B-vitamin deficiency.

Some raw-fooders are also at risk for vitamin D, zinc, and in a few cases, calcium deficiency.
http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/...oting-1a.shtml

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.