Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any safe bed rails to use with cosleeping newborn/infants. I've coslept with both my other kids but never had one. Unfortunately my dd did fall out of bed once, ds never did but I pretty much slept in our bed alone with him - dh moved out for a while. I would rather not kick dh out of our bed this time around but want to eliminate the possibilities of falls. I was thinking of using a bedrail but most of them seem to say for ages 2+. I wonder if they are actually safe for infants or not? Anyone use one or have any other suggestions? I do have a pack n play with a bassinet that I will have next to the bed. I've used it with both the other kids for naps and such but baby always ends up in our bed during the night.<br><br>
Thanks, Micky

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hi Mickey;<br>
I'm in MN too!<br><br>
My dd slept between us when she was small (and does now too, usually). I think for a new infant I'd try a co-sleeper? From 3-6 mo I'd put my dd in a cradle that she liked.<br><br>
Now that dd is one, when I put her over to the side I put up a side rail and that seems to work fine. I don't know what age it's rated for, but I'm sure it's nothing special.<br><br>
What I really think works the very best for cosleeping is a king size bed. It really made a big difference and was well worth the investment.<br><br>
HTH!! meg

·
Registered
246 Posts
We use a bed rail on our bed (Safety First) and haven't had any problems (dd is 9 mo). If you use one, make sure it's on very securely. The main danger is that a large infant could stand, be top heavy, lose balance, and fall over the edge. Dd does stand and look over sometimes, but she's never looked like she was in danger of going over. If it ever does start to look dangerous, I plan to move her back to the middle. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
We use a Snug Tuck pillow. It takes up a bit of the bed space but has worked really well. The Safety 1st bedrail didn't work out for us.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
We also use the snugtuck pillow. I heard about it on MDC some time ago.<br><a href="http://www.snugtuckpillow.com" target="_blank">www.snugtuckpillow.com</a><br>
There's also this, but it costs a bit more: <a href="http://www.humanityinfantandherbal.com/humanityfamilybed.html" target="_blank">http://www.humanityinfantandherbal.c...familybed.html</a><br>
I think with bedrails the baby could get trapped between the mattress and the rail. At least that's the theory. I've never tried it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
this maybe kind of hard-core, but we didn't/don't use anything. we believe really strongly that kids need to be allowed to explore and experience with limited interference, so we just slept... our son fell out of bed three times (we did have some cushioning in place - it was really a nice soft landing actually) around 9 mo, and never again. a trusted friend of ours actually encouraged us to do it (she has a masters in child development). she is also the one that taught us to let them (we now have two kids) explore without help - using this approach my son was able to navigate stairs, use a fork and spoon with some degree of usefulness, and climb like a monkey at 9 mo. it used to freak our family out (he could climb stairs so well that we let him without watching him but he has never fallen more than a couple small rolls down less than three steps at a time - all without even a goose egg).<br>
so maybe you should just let them be - our friend told us that she has never heard of a baby falling more than three times...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts