Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently, I lay down with my 17-month-old DD every naptime and bedtime until she stops tossing and turning and eventually falls asleep (this could take anywhere between 15 and 60 minutes!). She falls asleep on a full size bed (that is in the nursery) and then I pick her up and put her in her crib. When she wakes up a few hours later, I bring her into my bed for the rest of the night.<br><br>
I just found out that I am pregnant and lifting her up off of the full size bed (which is just the box springs and the mattress right on the floor) into her crib is getting difficult and I know it will just get harder as I get bigger. I am debating about going on and transitioning her out of her crib. It would be so much easier to just get up and leave after she falls asleep and just leave her on the full size bed. Even though she knows the proper way to climb down I am still not comfortable leaving her alone on the bed without bed rails or something to prevent her from falling off in her sleep.<br><br>
Do you think it would be better/safer to keep the full size bed the same (box springs and mattress on the floor) and put bed rails all around the bed or to just put only the mattress on the floor? Right now the bed is up against a corner so only two sides are exposed but my DD has a tendency to sit up and then fall back banging her head against the wall. I have a body pillow cushioning the wall right now but I don't feel comfortable leaving that on the bed without me there. I thought about scooting the bed out from the wall a couple of inches and putting a bed rail on the side with some pillows tucked in the gap between the wall and the bed rail in order to try to cushion those sides of the bed a little. I think putting the mattress directly on the floor would be safer but then I don't know how to cushion the wall with that setup. Also, my DD has a tendency to jump on the bed and I am afraid that she will flip over the bed rails. I will have the monitor on, but I might not be able to get to her soon enough if I hear her jumping on the bed. I don't know if any of this made sense...but if you have any opinions/suggestions I would appreciate it!<br><br>
Thanks,<br>
Joy

·
Registered
199 Posts
We co-sleep and have bed rails on our bed, and I really love them! I would totally recomend them, and I think your idea with the pillows wedged should work just fine, at her age I wouldn't worry about her 'smoothering' herself, as she is quite mobile.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well I bought mine on line and they are made by DEX (google Dex bed rails). They will fit any size bed, we have them on our king size bed, but they are long and tall-which is great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts