Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time mom, 21 weeks yesterday, new to this group. A little background: I had a LEEP in 2007 and a biopsy just before I conceived. I have a short cervix as a result, but it seems to just be short and has stayed in the same measurement range since my OB first looked at it at 8 weeks. That is, the majority of my average measurements have been around 2.3 with only a very slight shortening over the past 13 weeks. I had a bad week where I was 2.5 with some funnelling but that resolved itself and immediately after, I had a 3 cm measurement at week 20. Now my last two have been 2.2-2.3. I haven't been diagnosed with IC. I'm measured every week and I'm on Crinone.

I see three different doctors: my OB who I like and trust very much and who has 30 years experience but who is at at tiny regional hospital and so by his own admission doesn't see many cases of short cervix or IC. I also see a MFM who is the head of the department at the largest hospital in the state, and is very senior with many years experience. I also see, for a second opinion, the head of MFM at Beth Israel in Boston who is one of the top MFMs in the US. They all agree that a cerclage isn't appropriate for me and that progesterone and frequent measurements are the right treatment. They all agree that my cervix is stable for now. The big difference is their opinion on bedrest.

MFM 1: Total bedrest, only shower, bathroom, meals, until 28 weeks. If stable, restrictions lifted at that time.

OB: Limited activity, pelvic rest, no work. No need to stay in bed and can do light housework, cooking, occasional short activities until 28 weeks, probably for the duration.

MFM 2 (Boston): Pelvic rest and no heavy lifting only, no restrictions, can work (I'm a professor so I can do 99% of my job, even lecturing, seated).

Right now I am on break anyway so I am doing closest to the middle recommendations. But school is starting again (I'll be 24 weeks) and I would really like to work on a limited schedule, with accommodations, if I can. But everyone I know says I need to do whatever it takes for the baby, which strikes me as kind of hysterical given that bed rest is no longer recommended by the ACOG. Which one should I choose? Am I selfish for following medical evidence? Who should I be listening to?

If you made it this far, I thank you! I didn't mean to go on this long!:laugh:

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I don't think you're selfish for taking evidence-based advise. You're not going to do the baby much good if you get pneumonia, a DVT or a PE, all of which are complications of bed rest.

Is it possible to take your job on a week by week basis and stop if you have further shortening or the funnelling returns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I appreciate your take. I am ing measured every week so between that and evidence based advise, I think week by week sounds like a good solution. That is what I was leaning toward anyway. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts