Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find some studies and articles about the benefits of bedsharing and not uisng CIO methods for toddlers. Most everything I find is for infants.

My FIL is a pedi and kindly sent us an article on sleep and basically that we need to CIO. I would love to find a study to show that CIO a toddler (18 months) can lead to problems in the future. I want to send some things back to him in order to show that we have completely thought through our decision and that this is best for our son.

TIA!

· Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was trying not to get into a debate with him on this, but then he sent the article. I kinda feel that this is going to continue unless I put a stop to it. I am hoping that by presenting a well thought out (but simple) response, that they will understand that we have done our homework.

I was all worked up about it before and now I am much more calm. If I let it keep building inside of me, I will explode to them and then they will be really confused.

I don't know. I just feel I need to respond somehow or I will keep getting this sort of stuff.

They are trying to help THEIR child (my DH). They think the reason he looked so exhausted is because of the bedsharing. I think it had more to do with allergies/snoring on top of finals that week on top of working full time. But it is causing problems with us because now DH is sleeping in another room and he hates that. And now I feel pressured to do something I don't agree with and I want them to kindly leave us alone.....

So annoying!

· Registered
82 Posts
This site is great for getting frustration (due to unwanted advise) out! Directing him to Dr. Sears is a good idea. This way you don't have to debate and you have the support of another pedi. Big hug!!

· Registered
312 Posts
I could be misremembering, but I think the Harvard study (showing CIO can lead to depression and altered cortisol levels) was done on 1-2 yr olds. Dr Sears or the top of this forum should have the link. It contains great lines like, "Parents should be aware that they can do permanent damage."

· Registered
4,747 Posts
"In a survey of adult college age subjects, Lewis and Janda (2) report that males who coslept with their parents between birth and five years of age had significantly higher self-esteem, experienced less guilt and anxiety, and reported greater frequency of sex. Boys who coslept between 6 and 11 years of age also had higher self-esteem. For women, cosleeping during childhood was associated with less discomfort about physical contact and affection as adults. (While these traits may be confounded by parental attitudes, such findings are clearly inconsistent with the folk belief that cosleeping has detrimental long-term effects on psycho-social development."

This study info is at: http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/longterm.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.