Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 year old ds is still wetting the bed, at least 3 times a week! This is despite limited fluids after supper, and it happens whether or not I get him up for a pee at 11 pm!!!!!!
I was dealing with it ok but now my 2 year old is officially night trained, dry sheets every morning for almost a month and a half! I can't wrap my head around the fact that my 2 year old is capable of not peeing all night and not my 6 year old!!!!!!! I blame myself for letting him wear pullups to bed for wayyyy too long (like until he was 5!) but now I need to repair this, because its costing me a fortune washing sheets all the flippin' time!
Sorry, I"m just SOOO frustrated, and of course I have to be calm about it with my son, I don't want to make him feel bad, I know he's trying..... its just DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!!!
SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that my 6yo is not dry at night. Ever. Our ped. says not to worry about it until at least 8.

It's developmental, not anything you did. All kids are different.

Try GoodNites. They have saved my child from embarassment and me from loads of laundry.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yup, some kids are just developmentally ready and some aren't.

I was a regular bed-wetter until I was about 8. I have, in fact, wet the bed a few times even as an adult. I can't predict when it will happen and there's not a dang thing I can do about it. My dad was a bed-wetter, and two of my cousins on my dad's side were, too. I've talked to others, and it definitely runs in families.

My advice is to keep doing exactly what you're doing. Don't, don't, don't make your dc feel bad about it as long as you think he's trying. It'll just make it worse.

--Olive

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Quote:
It's developmental, not anything you did. All kids are different.
Yep, sure is. Our 5 year old has never, ever been dry all night. He just can't. Something like 12-15% of 6 year olds still wet the bed.

If restricting liquids doesn't work after 2 weeks, it's not going to work. Getting him up isn't working either.

The research I've read suggests that sometimes those alarms that go off (and wake the parents so they can wake the kids) do work, but it takes something like 3 months for them to work!

Is it cheaper to use pull-ups and try again in 6 months?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
don't blame it on the pull-ups. my dd is almost 6 and still wets regularly even with limiting fluids and middle of the night trips to the bathroom. I never did pull-ups. I did use cloth till 3yrs and after that she would take the diaper off in the middle of the night.
While camping I insist on goodnites (pull-ups and the like don't contain all the pee) dd hates it and often I put it on her after she's asleep but it does keep the sleeping bag dry.
At home I use a layer of ProCare under the sheet so I usually only have to do a bottom sheet and the ProCare fabric.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So your ped doesn't have issues with the goodnights? I just don't want to encourage the habit.... my thought when I took away the pull ups was that maybe feeling wet would discourage it, but as it turns out he really doesn't seem to wake up, even after it happens. I just find him in the morning, fast asleep with wet sheets. Poor kid, it really sucks.
So if its not a concern before the age of eight, what happens if they turn eight and they are still doing it? Anyone know? My son will be seven in about a month and a half... so the clock is ticking, know what I mean?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah, and just one more gripe! My son sleeps in the top of a bunk bed, so changing sheets is an acrobatic feat! Plus I'm ttc, so soon I'll be doing daily sheet changes up in the air with a big ol' baby belly!!!!! WAAAAA!!!!!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I think the issue is just being a deep sleeper. My dd also doesn't wake up when she wets. We co-sleep so it's me that wakes up in a warm puddle. I don't think an alarm pad would work as I run dd to the bathroom as soon as I feel it and it hasn't changed anything.
I would try pare down the bedding. mattress pad, bottom sheet and fleece blanket (you should be able to get this all in one load). Hopefully your ds can learn to change his own bedding soon.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My ds just turned 9 last week. He wets the bed about 4 nights a week. I was very concerned because his older brothers never wet the bed after about age 2.5. Our pediatrician is not concerned at all...he just says to do whatever it takes to protect the bedding so it can stay as low-key as possible. DS wears GoodNights most nights and I have a waterproof mattress pad that protects the mattress. Once in a while he'll have a dry spell that lasts a week or two and we get all excited, but then he goes back to wetting. DH wet the bed off and on until about age 10 and my nephew is now 12 and still wets - genetics can play a large role. My nephew actually has prescription nose spray that he uses before bed and it stops him from wetting. He's been on it for years.

The hardest part is watching DS stress over the possible embarrassment. He is very hesitant to go to sleepovers because the GoodNights are pretty obvious and he doesn't want to wet the bed in front of friends. The last time he went to a sleepover birthday party for his best friend, he actually stayed awake all night! He didn't admit it, but I know it's because he didn't want to be embarrassed in the morning.
He would be mortified if anyone other than immediate family found out.

We did try the "potty pager" that a few people recommended to me. It's a small vibrating alarm that attaches to the inside of underwear and goes off with the slightest moisture. Apparently a lot of folks have success with this, but ds just slept right through it most of the time and eventually fried the motor.

Our plan is to just wait it out and help ds deal with it any way we can. Good luck and hugs to you and your little guy!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the words of encouragement folks.... I guess this is just one of those mysterious childhood things. Who knows why they do it, there doesn't seem to be much we can do to help...
I suppose it will eventually pass. I just really wish I could speed up the process.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In what form does the DHA supplement arrive in? Is it like liquid oil or capsules or what? How do you get your son to take it? This is promising!
And about chiropractic, thats a good idea too. We just got benefits through DH's work and chiropractic is part of the package... I will make an appointment.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderinggypsy
In what form does the DHA supplement arrive in? Is it like liquid oil or capsules or what? How do you get your son to take it? This is promising!
And about chiropractic, thats a good idea too. We just got benefits through DH's work and chiropractic is part of the package... I will make an appointment.
You may wonder why the DHA supplements were recommended and how they help. Children with enuresis have increased levels of prostaglandin E2 and nitric oxide. Omega-3 fatty acids are known to inhibit the synthesis of prostaglandin E2 and renal nitric oxide. Bed-wetting children have an underdeveloped region of the brain that controles nighttime micturition (as noted by their inappropriate startle response). Omega-3 fatty acids play a critical role in the development of and function of the CNS including micturition control and startle response. Nations with the lowest prevalence of bed-wetting children consume more than double the fish/seafood as compared to the nations with the highest prevalence of bedwetting children.

http://www.crohns.net/page/C/PROD/PROD/NNL3180

That link is the DHA that we have used. I need to get more and get him back on them. He took them great for quite a long time but for the past few months has refused to cooperate. They are "soft gels" and they can swallow them, chew them or let them disolve in their mouth.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
do they taste gross? I mean, I imagine natural sources like fish oil, and I can't imagine my son eating anything that tasted like that! (although he loves his grilled salmon...) I'm going to go in search of this stuff tommorow... it makes perfect sense!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:

do they taste gross? I mean, I imagine natural sources like fish oil, and I can't imagine my son eating anything that tasted like that! (although he loves his grilled salmon...) I'm going to go in search of this stuff tommorow... it makes perfect sense!
The Nordic Naturals stuff we used has a strawberry taste to it. They smell pretty good. He dislikes the oily texture though. I've considered trying to either dissolve it in water for him or put it into his PB&J and see if he notices it that way.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Quote:

So your ped doesn't have issues with the goodnights? I just don't want to encourage the habit.... my thought when I took away the pull ups was that maybe feeling wet would discourage it, but as it turns out he really doesn't seem to wake up, even after it happens. I just find him in the morning, fast asleep with wet sheets. Poor kid, it really sucks.
So if its not a concern before the age of eight, what happens if they turn eight and they are still doing it? Anyone know? My son will be seven in about a month and a half... so the clock is ticking, know what I mean?
My ped. is only concerned if and when ds becomes concerned. When he says "don't worry about it", he meant that until 8, there's really nothing you can do about it. But he's not worried ever if ds isn't upset by it.

And the Goodnites help him. He can sleep in a big ol puddle and not wake up. He's done it before. The Goodnites help him lose the shame and there's nothing but good that will come from that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momma2mingbu
I'd suggest you try chiropractic
Good luck!
I was just gonna post that...my DH is a chiropractor and we see kids in our office frequently for bed wetting and typically get really great results. You can PM me if you'd like my DH to recommend a really good chiro in your area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My son turned 8 in April and has never had a dry night. He wets through his Goodnites 4 or 5 times a week, even with limited fluids.
We have tried everything except the Chiropractor. I actually plan on calling today. We have had an ultrasound done on his bladderr and thankfully, it turned out fine. The alarm didn't work. It woke everyone in the house up but him. We have tried two medications, Ditropan and DDAVP. The Ditropan did nothing. The DDAVP worked to lessen his nighttime urine but never got totally rid of it. That was with three pills per night. I really didn't like him taking pills so I stopped.
My pediatrician, like many others, is not concerened with it as long as my son is ok with it. Well, he is not so ok with it anymore, so we'll try the Chiropractor.
Both my husband & I were late bed wetters so it's understandable that he is also. My older son is 11 and has never had a night time accident. Funny...
There ar a lot of people who know exactly how you feel. As hard as it is to change and wash bedding every day, it's nothing compared to the sadness on my baby boys face. I'll do whatever it take to help him. T
Never, never make him thinks its his fault.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It's funny, I posted to this thread almost exactly a year ago. Well, ds has now just turned 10 and he is finally dry at night. It has been about 4 months now since he last wet the bed. It seemed to just stop suddenly - I guess he finally just grew out of it - thank goodness! I am so happy for him.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3boysmom View Post
It's funny, I posted to this thread almost exactly a year ago. Well, ds has now just turned 10 and he is finally dry at night. It has been about 4 months now since he last wet the bed. It seemed to just stop suddenly - I guess he finally just grew out of it - thank goodness! I am so happy for him.
Congrats on the dry nights!
My son has only had one daytime accident in the past month or so. But he's still wet nearly every night. I know we'll get there evenutally.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.