Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get one I'll get the one that butts up right onto the mattress so there's no risk of getting caught, strangled, etc. I thought it would be nice because that way I can fall asleep nursing on either side, and if I'm uncomfortable with the baby being next to DH, or go to bed earlier than him or something, I have that option. But it seems like few people I know used a bedrail with a brand new baby especially since they can't roll or go anywhere.

Thoughts? Useful? Useless? DD didn't sleep with us much until she was older because I was freaked out about our dog and we had a small bed. Now we have a king, and I know our dog is a completely sweetheart who stays as FAR away from the baby as possible in the bed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Congrats on the coming baby.

I bought a bed rail for my DD when she was about 2 months old. Up until then I was sleeping with her in my arms. I completely would have used it earlier if I would have known how much safer it made me feel. I sleep better and can nurse on either side now which is nice.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I didn't use one with my daughter (who is now 9 months), but she slept like a little rock... She is just now mobile enough and a light enough sleeper to need some sort of enclosing (like a bed rail) or she sleeps somewhere safer like a crib mattress on the floor if I am not in bed with her.

My best advice would be to DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. If you'll sleep better as PP said, do it! You'll need all the restful sleep you can get!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
We're just now talking about rails and Ds is 5mo. Until recently he slept between me and the edge. Our bed isn't very high, but is not on the ground.

I would hold off only because although Ds used to sleep right next to me, as he has gotten older it is becoming clear that he likes to sleep on his back all sprawled out and so we've abutted a crib mattress to have more space for him. I'm thinking of getting a crib to put around the mattress (ha!) rather than side rails because it is sturdier, covers 3 sides not just one, etc.

Anyhow, that's a long way of saying until you know how Dc will sleep there is no guarantee it will be useful.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I LOVE OURS!
I sleep so much better with it...
when one side gets tired from lying you can switch sides.
I'd say get it now, it will get used when you transition dc into their own 'big kid bed' even if u decide u won't use it now.

Dawn

·
Registered
87 Posts
Where do you find a bed rail that works with a queen size pillowtop mattress. DS is 8 months old and so far he's been sleeping between me and the crib (we have it set up next to our bed, no chance of him falling between,) but i still want a bed rail instead. the two rails we have give us literally and inch or so protection since the mattress is so thick

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I didnt get a bedrail until ds could roll over, at first we sidecar'ed the crib...but he didnt like it after a while, so I moved the bed to the floor and got a bedrail. The one we have goes up to a king size, and it will fit a up to a 14inch mattress.The rail folds down to store, and when it folds up for night time, it just lays on top of the matress clamped on. We got it at meijers for $24

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.