Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been cosleeping with my 7 month old dd since she was born - she usually starts out the night in her cosleeper then moves to the bed when she wakes up the first time and stays in bed until morning.

We recently moved to a different apartment which is furnished and the mattress is terrible! It's so soft that it slants inward. My DH is tall and 70 pounds more than me, so it's hard for my dd to sleep because the mattress sinks in so much. She also has been moving more in her sleep - she will unlatch and roll onto the other side, but now the mattress slopes so much that she can't make it over!

We thought her crib might help, so we finally set it up and have it next to the bed. She wakes up about every hour in her crib, and neither of us are getting enough sleep.

We don't want to buy a new mattress because:

- we can't afford it
- i am concerned about the new mattress fumes, especially because i think crib mattress fumes are one cause of SIDS and my dd is starting to sleep on her tummy, meaning she will inhale more fumes
- my dh is in grad school, and we are planning to move to another continent when he finishes in 1-2 years, and we wouldn't take the mattress with us, so we can't even look at it as an investment for years to come.
- if we did buy a new one, we'd have to buy the cheapest we could get, which might not be better than what we have now.

we've only tried her crib for 4 nights, so we could keep trying and hope she starts to sleep well in there.

we could try and find a used mattress, but for some reason that seems unsanitary to me - would you buy a used mattress?

any other options that i havent thought of?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Since you are renting and the apartment is furnished, have you considered asking management for a replacement?

You also could try a thin piece of plywood under the matress to help support it in the middle. We had to do that for awhile until we could afford an upgrade.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.