Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My demand BF'd ds (17 mos) takes a pacifier while he's falling asleep at night. (He nurses to sleep for nap but even though he nurses right before he falls asleep at night, he takes a paci to send him off the rest of the way). Other than that, unless he swipes it from the bed lol while passing through, he gets no pacis during the day. But the last 2 nights he has reached for bed when I'm getting a blanket to take to the rocking chair where I nurse him, like he wanted to bypass nursing and go right to sleep. I was kind of shocked, like, you REALLY want to go to bed without nursing first? (and hurt a little I admit
) He wasn't more tired than usual or sick or anything.

So I guess I have two questions - when did your toddlers stop nursing to sleep (naps or bedtime) - I guess I figured this would be the last nursing session to go (it was with my older two), and also, could even his very limited use of a paci at this age cause a problem with BFing? And when should you ditch (gently obviously) the pacis?
:

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
My son is 20 months old and still nurses before sleep, sometimes he nurses himself TO sleep if he's tired enough. He has always used a paci during sleep, and still does. I am pregnant right now and not at all interested in trying to take that away from him, unless he suddenly decides he doesn't want it anymore.

DS's paci has not caused any trouble with BF. This pregnancy has knocked my milk supply down pretty good, but the paci hasn't caused us any harm.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Sara is 18 months and uses her binky(mostly to chew on) to go to sleep after nursing. She doesn't "need" it I guess since she would go to sleep without it(and loses it after falling asleep) but she does like to have it. A few times in the last 3 or 4 months she has forgone nursing for the binky but it never really lasted. She always comes back. We plan on being completely done with the binky by 2. We are already cutting back on it to just bedtimes. Soon we'll begin don't ask, don't refuse for binky. And then binky will be "lost" and tha'ts it. We use cloth diapers so we never enter those "baby aisles" in the stores so we won't have the need to see them. So I'm anticipating an easy time with that. She's used a binky since 3 months old and I don't think we've had ANY trouble at all combining the binky with nursing. It helped us quite a bit when she started daycare a few months ago and needed comfort in the form of sucking. Her sitter is amazing though and holds her a lot during the day along with her own 4 month old and 4 other kids under the age of 6!
: We are pretty lucky in that respect. I think we could completely eradicate the binky now without issue but we are moving in 2 days and I'd like to keep it around until at least after we are settled in our new house.

Meg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts