Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone reset my child's internal clock?<br><br>
Our dd is four, and has always been on a natural go-to-bed-late, sleep-late schedule. We loved it when she was a baby, being the only new parents we knew who got to sleep till 10 am on the weekends. She is a tremendous sleeper and will go for 11 or 12 hours straight, even now at four years old.<br><br>
For the last year + however, her internal clock has been a huge problem. Last year she was attending a full day day-care and had to be there by 8:30 which meant waking up at least by 7:15 or so. In her day she had a two-hour nap scheduled in so even though she would wake up tired, she just wasn't tired at a normal bedtime and would be up till 11 or 12 at night! So that meant getting only 7 or 8 hours of sleep. (On top of this I was pregnant with ds and teaching kindergarten full time and had to be at work by 7:00 am and I also was just not getting enough sleep!)<br><br>
I chalked this all up to her probably just outgrowing a nap and getting off schedule because naptime was strictly enforced at her daycare. Now she's in a half-day preschool which she loves, but she is simply too tired to make it through the day without a nap. When she naps she is again up way too late for her own sake and for the sake of her whole family. But if I keep her from napping she is miserable, practically falling asleep at the dinner table, but indeed getting to bed by 8 and sleeping a good 11 or 12 hours.<br><br>
If you've made it this far I thank you. I guess my question is if this sounds familiar to anyone and if you have advice. Is my child doomed to keeping her odd hours and I am doomed to sleep deprivation? (BTW our ds is now 7 mo. and is an early to bed, early to rise kinda guy. So dd's night-owl habits are even more noticeable) TIA, any words of wisdom are welcome...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
What time does she take her nap? If my dd sleeps at 3:30 pm and after then she is up till 9:30-10:00. But if she naps earlier or not at all, then she goes to sleep at 8 pm. On days where she won't nap at the earlier time, I lay down with her and read and cuddle just so she will have some down time and then she can make it thru the day without a nap. I would much prefer that she naps at 1 or 2, but this isn't always the case.<br>
Also what kind of activities is she doing after dinner? On days where dd has taken a late nap, I try to have her doing only quiet time after dinner. Reading, puzzles, bath, etc., so that her energy doesn't rewind again. Never TV at night, as this will stimulate too.<br>
Does any of this help???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isa-<br>
Thank you so much for the reply. What seems to work for us (or at least has for the last couple of days) is a quiet rest time around 1 and then off to the park in the late afternoon while my husband makes dinner. Then dinner, bath, bed.... SLEEP! horay! and no dosing off in those last hard hours before dinner. I am hoping that this will continue to work. Thanks, Mariposa

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
I'm glad you found something that works! I was going to say that from the ages of 2-4 there is a transition from needing to nap during the day and not, and it is not always smooth. Our solution has been to try to get a nap in *early*. So that she is awake again by 1 pm at the latest.<br><br>
Just an aside, but it's rare that our internal clocks are the actual problem, more usually the problem is the arbitrary external clock!

·
Registered
194 Posts
When my ds was giving up his nap, he had about a year before his body was adjusted to it. he would fall asleep at the tablr if he had no nap, but be up too late if he slept even for 1/2 hour. his body eventually figured it out. sounds like you are doing everything right! keep up the good work.<br>
krista

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks to you mamas extending support and wisdom. dd had a bit of a cold this week and I let her nap for about 20 minutes yesterday and she was up until midnight! I guess I'm just confirming what I already knew. tonight she was sacked out by 7:45. Sometimes I feel boxed in by having to keep a schedule, sometimes it's a relief to know how and when my day will go. My dd feels the same. (My ds, on the other hand, loves his schedule, you can set a clock by him!)<br>
Thanks for the encouragement, Mariposa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts