Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ARGH! ds is almost 4 and we are attempting to transition him to his own bed. (with one of us in there with him of course)

i am pregnant and just can't sleep with a 46 pound little boy in my bed anymore.

anyway, i ask him at bedtime, do you want to sleep in your room, sometimes it's yes, sometimes it's no. then we follow his bedtime ritual and then we read books and tunr out the lights. but instead of falling asleep we have kicking, getting up, yelling for daddy, asking for food, stuffed animals, going in the other room, asking to sleeping in the other room, jumping, kicking cats, etc. until i am fairly screaming at him to lay down.

once he lays down and holds still for 2 minutes he falls alseep. but the stuff before hand is making me nuts, it goes on from anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. i am too tired at night to really deal effectively with him and just ignore him until i'm losing it.

this started when it got dark later, not when we started moving him, BTW

nayone else go through this? i am dreading bedtime and that makes me crazy.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It sounds like he's not ready for such an abrupt change in the sleeping arrangements. Maybe you could put his mattress on the floor of your room and gradually move it a little farther and farther over the course of a few weeks or a month.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually we have been working on this transition since january.

we live in an old farmhouse, no room on the floor for a mattress.

·
Registered
398 Posts
You say it started when it started getting dark later....

Perhaps try rousing him earlier in the morning?
Does he still nap in the afternoon? Move it up or cut it short?
Is there any way to "darken" his room?

With DS, we do the routine and DH or I will lay down with him. We tell him that if he can't lay quietly, we will leave the room (not CIO). If we leave and he calls out, we return & ask "are you ready to lay quietly?" and usually he'll say yes. Sometimes, he really will just read his books for a while and then fall asleep on his own. You can't make him sleep, but you can tell him that naptime/nighttime is quiet time.

The other thing I noticed when I was pg, was that I wasn't always able to "wear out" DS during the day. Maybe have DH do some "roughhousing" with him to burn up some extra energy.

HTH!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts