Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm on another private board and the question came up - what time do your toddlers go to bed? most of them answered with consistent bedtimes ranging from 7-9:30. what i mean is that they each said their kids went to bed at the same time each night at 7 or at 8, etc...and then i chimed in with me "it varies - any time between 8:30 and 11:30". LOL i was the only one.

so...am i really the only one?? we've never tried to enforce a specific bedtime because he naps at different times each day and when he's not tired he just will NOT fall asleep. so he hangs with us until he's tired. once he's tired he just drops off to sleep no matter where he is/what he's doing. it just might be as early as 8:30 or as late as 11:30 or even midnight.

how abnormal is this?
oh, he's nearly 27 mos.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Sounds like a normal AP kid to me. Very similar to our house. I do have other AP friends who put their kids to bed a regular times but it can take a long time some days to get them to sleep. So mom spends a long time trying and trying to get them to sleep. I don't want to do that. If dd is not sleepy, so be it. It really depends on how much sleep she gets. Since I don't work, I don't care. I think if we had a regular wake up time, she would have a more regular sleep time.

I do know other moms who have a regular bedtime for their kids and they have trained them through sleep training and cio and their kids often just play in bed quietly or sometimes not until they get to sleep. They don't just magically go to sleep right on cue every night. The kids just learn that when mom and dad leave the room, they aren't coming back.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You're not alone. My baby's only 5-mo-old, but already she doesn't have a regular bedtime! Sometimes she falls alseep early (around 9), other times, no matter what I do, she wants to stay awake (the latest was 11:15). I can usually get her to sleep in a mei tai if she's resisting sleep, but I can only imagine how hard bedtime will be when she's a toddler (and the mt's not a viable option)! My husband and I are night owls, so she comes by it honestly. I teach college classes (online right now, a combo of online and evening when she's older), so I'm able to sleep in late. When she has to get up early for school in future years, it will be a hard transition for her, I know.

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
My 4 year old ds goes to sleep between nine and nine-thirty every night. We read to him starting between eight-thirty and nine, then he goes to bed. No sleep training or CIO required
Our dd is 21 months and goes to bed anywhere between nine and eleven. Sometimes I get her in bed right after ds, sometimes she goes to bed when dh and I do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It varies -- sometimes as early as 7pm (if she had cruddy naps that day), or as late as 8:30 or 8:45p if she woke up from her afternoon nap late....I always try to follow her cues, but sometimes end up missing the boat and then it takes me longer to get her to sleep because she's overtired.....so, she goes to bed when she's tired and it just usually ends up falling into the range of 7-8:45p.....

Also, she doesn't have a "shifting" schedule (meaning if she goes to sleep later, she sleeps later in the morning)......she usually gets up at the same time in the morning no matter when she goes down the night before....

·
Registered
16 Posts
My almost 12-monther goes to bed between 7-8, and we do enforce bedtime rather strictly, because I find that if I neglect to put her to bed, she all too often gets overtired and can't sleep! She seems to have a very sensitive "window" for getting to bed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Our dd goes to bed at 8:00, sometimes we read starting at 7:30 somtimes we just sit and cuddle. If the TV is on and too distracting we will go to her room and sit.

She does well with a set bedtime and she has NEVER been left to CIO. Her nap are pretty much the same each day. If there is a night that she is not ready to go to sleep she says up for a 1/2 hour and I watch for sleepy cues. Sometimes she stays up later but more than not she is ready for bed.

Mom appreciates a few minutes to clean house and take care of other things while dd is getting the rest she needs.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
9 is the usual bedtime. Sometimes as early as 8:30 or as late as 10 but those are rare days. We all get up at the same time each day as well. We have been on this schedule since our son was an infant. It just kind of happened.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
We are 9pm-10pmer's here. But that's only if he has had a nap. If I try to put him down any earlier he has a tough time falling asleep.
With no nap, he's ready to crash by 8 or 8:30 pm.
It also depends on what time he wakes up in the monring too. I am a sahm and he is my only dc so we have a "go with the flow" type of routine.
We do have a bedtime routine though, books, toothbrushing, and I lay with him till he's almost alseep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts