Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to put this (maybe MHM?) but here goes..... DD (5.5 yrs old) and DS (3.5 yrs old) have nighttime accidents often. Mostly DD and it is at times nightly for 4-7 nights in a row. While I would love some input on how to stop this, I'm not really looking for thoughts on that what I need thoughs on is what to use as bedding now that it's getting colder? Between the mattress pad, the sheets and 2 blankets, it's 2 loads of laundry every day that she has an accident just for her bed not to mention all my other laundry. I've already stopped putting her comforter back on the bed (that was another load) but if I only put the top sheet or one blanket on, she's cold. Any thoughs or suggestions? TIA!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
can you let them sleep in pullups? we are potty trained during the day but my kids sleep in pullups. sorry if I'm giving advice on the wrong thing.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't afford pull ups.
and DS wouldn't wear them anyway. DD might. They also won't wear diapers - DS has been out of them since last winter and DD since spring. The sleeping bag idea is good but the pee would go through and she moves around so much that everything under would get wet too.
Maybe I just need to make her some smaller blankets so she would have the layers but I wouldn't have the bulk to wash.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
What about some cloth training pants or those plastic pants that people used in the old days? They are reusable.

I am going through the same thing, so much laundry. And I only have one. I got vinyl pillow case covers at the local Target, because I was washing his pillows every day. He sleeps in the fetal position so his pillows always get wet.
I also got these from one step ahead, and they are making my life easier. Now all I have to do is strip off the top blanket, his pj's and this pad.
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/117/449761/117.html

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
we're still going throught this with my dd. Since she was a toddler she would take off her diaper in the middle of the night. The pad OakBerry suggested sounds wonderful. If they only made that in King size. I use large pieces of ProCare under the sheet to protect the bed. I suggest fleece blankets as they keep you warm even when wet and dry quickly. You could make blankets out of fleece by the yard, though I've found is usually cheapest to just buy already made blankets. What about footed fleece PJ's for your dc.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have an almost 10 year old son who is an awesome amazing kid. He also happens to be among the 20% of children who still wet the bed at this age. Fleece is your friend.

Fleece blankets wash and dry in a heartbeat, and you can just pick up two yards of whatever fleece you like at Joannes fabrics... on sale now.

We make the bed, have a "puddle pad"... rubberized flannel under him.... also buy at joannes. put him in his jamms... he likes to wear three to four pairs of underwear. put a fleece blanket on top of the "puddle pad" and a fleece blanket on top of him, sometimes two..if really cold, and he is in control of the other blankets in his room...

We also do the no fluids after 7pm, up at midnight to potty and up at 6 am to potty again.

The fleece wicks the urine away from the boy, and we have enough fleece "blankets" that I do not have to wash them everyday. Fleece lasts longer if you wash it with it's self. so we have four nights worth of blankets.

he gets up, puts the blankets in his laundry basket, changes, throws new blankets on his bed and less than three minutes after peeing... is asleep again.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I made my daughter's bed, then put a crib sized mattress pad on that.

Then put a flat sheet on top of the matress pad, (but, I like the fleece idea) and then covered her in a sheet and blanket. When she wet, she pulled the wet stuff off the bed, changed her clothes, and had another set of bedding under that.

I think the trick for you is to make things smaller. The blankets and sheets can be made a little smaller to minimize the laundry load. The kid sized sleeping bag would work, if you also used the crib matress pad under it. But, unless they sleep in a wet bed (they don't wake up) you would need two sleeping bags. My daughter always woke up and wanted me to remake her bed so she could go back to sleep.

If you can sew, you can also buy some waterproof fabric and make some pullups for them. I have seen the Pul in some very cute fabrics. Like Bob The Builder and Hello Kitty.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just wanted to second the suggestion on the pads. I bought 2 for my son so in case there is an accident, I still have a clean one for the rest of the night. Generally they catch everything. Every now and again pee will get on the pllow or top sheet but it is more of a rarity than the the norm.
I really love these things, they are super absorbent. I safety-pin them to the bottom of the mattress so they stay on because he flips about so much.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the ideas ladies. I think I'm going to try to make smaller blankets (instead of th full size blankets that she has now) and maybe ask for the mattress cover for x-mas - I can't afford them right now. I've thought of making pullup type dipes but I feel like that would be going backwards seeing as how sometimes she'll go 2-3 weeks w/no accidents and then 6-7 nights in a row w/them.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Have you read any books on bed wetting? There are many available, and many are likely to be at your library. One thing that helps is to increase the amount of water the kids drink before 3pm. This stretches the bladder so that it can hold more urine. Also, you can teach your kids how to stop the flow in midstream--basically kegels. Very helpful.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track with smaller blankets -- the boys' blankets are a bit bigger than crib blankets & work great. I have a vinyl/plastic mattress cover (about $10 for the zip-up around the whole mattress type, less for the fitted sheet type). I can fit 2 days of wet bedding in the washer -- 2 sheets & 2 small blankets.

As others have commented, fleece is great too -- and wears better with frequent washing, I think. Some of the boys' blankets are starting to come apart at the seams.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've decided that I need to do more than the blankets - I need to put them in pull ups or the like. DH and I talked and he wanted me to just spend the money and get the pull ups. Well I was in Target today, looked and looked, made my decision, put the packages into the cart and made it to the cashier and just couldn't buy them. I haven't bought disposables since DD1 was 5 months old (She's 5.5, DS is 3.5 and DD2 is 14 mos). So, can anyone recommend something? Overnight undies by mother of eden ($20 something each), Happy Heinys pocket trainers? Any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I read somewhwre on mdc that some mamas use an old wool blanket under sheet as a bedpad, you could cut it in halfa nand have 2 to alternate while the other is drying avail at thrift stores or army-navy stores
a friend of mine used a cheap bedpad with large pool float type air mattress under it
You could try one of those ideas to protect the bed and child size sleeping bags or fleece blanket sleepers to keep warm- both readily avail at thrift stores and yard sales

1 - 14 of 14 Posts