Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is 2 yr 10 months and has been daytime PT for 10 months. She normally sleeps dry, but once every 2 months or so she wets the bed. She has also had a couple of night time regressions--once for 3 weeks when I was very ill and could not give her as much attention as she was used to, and another time when she got a cold on holiday.

She has NEVER ONCE got us up to use the potty at night. She is not night time PT, she just normally doesn't need to pee at night.

I know "experts" on PT would tell me to just wait till she outgrows the bedwetting. But heck, if I listened to the so-called experts, I would probaby still be waiting around for her to show interest in the potty. EC methods worked very well with her around age 2, and after a few months of me initiating potty visits, she took control herself.

So, I'm posting on the EC board wondering if you ladies can offer any advice as to what I should do about her random bedwetting. I'm inclined to use the same method for nighttime as for daytime--lifting her every night before I go to bed, just to get her used to the idea of using the toilet at night. Then hopefully after a few months she would follow my example and wake up on her own when she needs to go. On the other hand, I've tried that the last few nights and she doesn't need to pee. At all. Which makes the whole process seem ridiculous. So, I'm wondering if maybe I should just be happy with a child who wets the bed once every 2 months. I'm just worried that she won't outgrow it anytime soon, and that the older she gets, the harder it will be to help her learn to wake up.

What do you think? Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Can you limit her fluid intake in the couple of hours before bed? This is what we do with my 4.5 year old. He has NEVER, not once, gotten up during the night to pee - he either stays dry, or wets the bed. He was not EC'd (my 17 mo daughter is), but he spontaneously self-potty-learned at 2 yrs 3 months old - within 1 week of the first pee-in-the-toilet, he never wore a diaper again. But he just does not seem to have it in him (even now) to wake to pee. So we try to make sure he drinks plenty during the day, then around 5:00 (he goes to bed about 7:30, we start being very limited with the drinks. He's amazingly agreeable to it - he knows why, and he wants to avoid waking up in a cold wet bed.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Limabean, I do limit sugary drinks and juice a couple of hours before bedtime. Unfortunately, however, I don't feel that limiting drinks altogether is an option. DD does not drink much throughout the day anyway and sometimes only pees 3-4 times in 24 hours. If she asks for something to drink, I feel like she is probably genuinely thirsty and I can't refuse.

Anyway, the bedwetting seems totally unrelated to fluid intake. Sometimes she drinks loads before bed, sleeps dry, then doesn't even want to go to the bathroom in the morning.

Other times she has had nothing to drink but it happens to be one of those nights that she wets the bed.

My concern is that, on the rare occasion that she needs to pee at night, for whatever unknown reason, she doesn't wake up. I'm just wondering if anyone has experience somehow helping their LO wake up at night to use the bathroom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.