Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my son potty trained in the day easily about a year ago, just before he turned three. We mainly let him go naked, and pee in the yard. I tried to be as natual as possible.
However, the nighttime has taken a long time. About 5 months ago, we started to tranistion away from night diapers. I noticed he was dry about 50% of the time, but would wake up and purposely pee in the diaper. It was expensive.
So, now he sleep on a water proof pad, in undies. I try to get him to go pee about 3 times in the hours before bed, and water is limited. He is some times fine for weeks, and then we have some more accidents abotu 50% of the time.
I dont ahve a washing machine, so there is a lot of work in the method.

Are there other techniques to help him get thru the night dry>?
When are kids, or boys, expected to be dry all night?>

thanks
b

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
No help here...my dd is 3.5 and still would wet the bed if i didnt put her in a diaper..but she isnt potty trained either

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
My 4 yo. boy is still in diapers at night. My dd was in diapers at night until 5.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
4 is still really young actually. my son didn't actually potty train until right before his 4th birthday.

i wouldn't worry about bedwetting at this point in your child's life.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
It'll happen when he's ready. My DS is finally dry at night now, but it's only been a few weeks since his last accident. He'll be 5 in October.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I had problems with betwetting even at age 6! My mom tried the limiting water, going before bed, and such with me, but it did not help till I just outgrew it. Part of my problem was sleeping so deeply I would not wake up in time to go. All I can say is my mom was VERY patient, and did a lot of laundry.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Kids will do it in their own time. My oldest son was dry during the day by four and at night by five. My daughter was dry during the day and night by three. My middle son was dry during the day by 3.5 and dry at night when he was 7.5. My youngest son was dry during the day by 4.5 and still wears a pull-up at night (he turned 5 June 2). He is dry maybe 50% of the time, if that.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
DD day trained at 29 months.
She night trained at 6 years.

DS day trained at 29 months.
He night trained at 3.5.

If you're still only 50% I'd back off for a while. Could you maybe get some cloth trainers on the TP?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I wet the bed regularly until I was seven and intermittently until I was about 11. So much depends on physical development and how deeply they sleep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

My name is Survivor and I am a newbie. My daughter Samantha was 3/4 when she was completely potty changed.

I too was very anxious about this issue especialy when I tralked to other mums whose children had completed training at an earlier age.

I realised that if you are anxious then your children sense this and you transfer your anxiety to them, having a relaxed attitude to this is paramount to successful training.

Having a rewards chart is also a good idea. I used silver and gold stars and everytime she did something on the potty or was dry then she would get a star. We were both able to visually see the progress and this is also a great confidence booster to your child as well as for yourself.

If your child has emotional issues ( whatever they may be ) this has an effect on bed wetting. I was sad alot as a child and I intermitently wet the bed until the age of 6. This is a very important issue to look at as if your child does have fears, pressures, anxieties or someone or something is making him feel scared, unsure, vulnerable or is being abused in any way he will inevitably wet the bed until the emotional issues are resolved.

I hope this helps. It may be as simple as he is naturally not ready and so you must remain calm, confident and praise him for his efforts or it could be as complec as a emotional issue.

Love SURVIVOR XXX

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
My son will be 4 soon. He has been day potty trained for 7 months and wears a pull-up to bed. If he didn't, he'd wake up soaked every night.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
My dd potty trained in the day at 2.5 - about a year ago. She's been in pull-ups at night ever since. Lately she's "regressed" to pull-ups during the day as well and likes to pee in them. I'm OK with it. I think this is still pretty young and it seems like part of her really needs to be a "baby" and have her dipe changed and be carried etc. This all sounds pretty normal to me.

You could try cloth at night. You could just hang the sheet out to dry and then put it back on for a few days, dry, but not necessarily clean. yeah - that may sound gross, but I have the feeling that before everyone had washing machines and dryers in their own homes - that's what they did.

I wouldn't push him to be dry at night. Just let this be from his impetus. Are you involving him in the underwear and sheet clean-up? I think that's important for him "owning" the act. Natural consequences and all....

·
Registered
491 Posts
My DS is also nearly 4. We started potty training at 3 y/o and it has been a long and challenging process.

We handle nighttime by taking DS to the bathroom before he goes to bed and when *we* go to bed. We've been doing this for about 2 mos and haven't woken up in a puddle of pee yet
Like pps have said, I think 4 is pretty young to make it through the night. I don't think DS will be able to make it through for at least another year or two.

I know how frustrating this whole potty training thing is...hang in there, mama.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts