Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 27 weeks pregnant and was stung by a bee on Thursday at noon on the bottom of my foot. I quickly knocked the bee away and removed the stinger. At first it was just a small puncture spot and not too noticeable, but early on Friday morning when I woke up it was really itchy. I started madly itching it (before I was really aware of the consequences). It continued being VERY itchy all throughout Friday (yesterday). A large red patch about the size of a quarter dollar appeared next to the puncture spot. The whole area is also a little swollen. I made a paste of toothpaste and baking soda and then covered it with gauze for most of today. I have iced it numerous times as well and this seems to really help. A couple of hours ago however I have noticed that the redness is darker (I admit I was scratching the area a bit again) and near the puncture spot there is a short 1 inch or so line now. The line is a little raised. The puncture spot itself looks pretty much the same, meaning there is no pus or anything and it doesn't appear "open." The red area, puncture spot, and now this little line are all mildly sore to the touch too. Would the bee venom still be causing this or should it have worn off by now -- over 48 hours later?

I wouldn't be too worried about this and I'd give it another day or two, but since I'm PG I called my local hospital's nurse line and the nurse said it may be infected and that I should go to the ER tonight or in the morning. I don't have a fever at all, even though we have been having a total heat wave. (Oh, won't the ER be fun!) But of course I'm concerned that if it is infected I want to deal with it ASAP before it gets worse. I'm also worried though about what they would "do" to me at the hospital.

Anyone have any experience with a bee sting that was just red, itchy and sore for a few days and then went away? Or does it really sound like an infection? And how will they treat that with me being pregnant?

Any and all thoughts welcome. My online searches have not been yielding the answers I'm looking for. Thanks!

·
Registered
984 Posts
I know you are pregnant and so I say this knowing you are pregnant, I would try taking a benedryl (pregnancy category B) to see if it helps with the allergic component. If you are feverish and/or the line is extending then go to an urgent care or ER.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OMama
I'm 27 weeks pregnant and was stung by a bee on Thursday at noon on the bottom of my foot. I quickly knocked the bee away and removed the stinger. At first it was just a small puncture spot and not too noticeable, but early on Friday morning when I woke up it was really itchy. I started madly itching it (before I was really aware of the consequences). It continued being VERY itchy all throughout Friday (yesterday). A large red patch about the size of a quarter dollar appeared next to the puncture spot. The whole area is also a little swollen. I made a paste of toothpaste and baking soda and then covered it with gauze for most of today. I have iced it numerous times as well and this seems to really help. A couple of hours ago however I have noticed that the redness is darker (I admit I was scratching the area a bit again) and near the puncture spot there is a short 1 inch or so line now. The line is a little raised. The puncture spot itself looks pretty much the same, meaning there is no pus or anything and it doesn't appear "open." The red area, puncture spot, and now this little line are all mildly sore to the touch too. Would the bee venom still be causing this or should it have worn off by now -- over 48 hours later?

I wouldn't be too worried about this and I'd give it another day or two, but since I'm PG I called my local hospital's nurse line and the nurse said it may be infected and that I should go to the ER tonight or in the morning. I don't have a fever at all, even though we have been having a total heat wave. (Oh, won't the ER be fun!) But of course I'm concerned that if it is infected I want to deal with it ASAP before it gets worse. I'm also worried though about what they would "do" to me at the hospital.

Anyone have any experience with a bee sting that was just red, itchy and sore for a few days and then went away? Or does it really sound like an infection? And how will they treat that with me being pregnant?

Any and all thoughts welcome. My online searches have not been yielding the answers I'm looking for. Thanks!
Bakingsoda and water paste will leech the poison out. But...you have to do it as SOON as you get the stinger out. Remember that for next time

I'd just keep ice on it and take some benadryl Or Clortripilon (Another safe, yet more effective allergy medication, my GP reccomended it to me to use for my seasonal allergies during my first trimester) if the itching gets worse. Just keep bakingsoda and water on it..

If you think it's an infection, crush a clove of garlic and put it on the sting site and wrap it in gauze and chill for a bit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts