Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love beef broth based soups. How do I make a great beef broth? Same as chicken? Any special ingredients or tips? You guys are great!!!

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I made beef broth from some knuckle bones. I got mine from my local farmer - they were from grass-fed cows. Mine actually had a fair amount of meat on them. I put them in a crockpot with water and acv. Simmered for 48 hours and then discarded the meat and bones (at this point the meat tastes something akin to cotton balls). I strained the broth, added back to the crockpot along with some meaty shanks that I pan seared. I let that cook for 12 hours, removed the meat, and let the bones simmer for another 7 or 8 hours and I was done!<br><br>
I think it's better to do the stock with a number of different bones b/c of the nutrients/flavor available in each. I have a small crockpot which is why I had to do mine in steps. If you want to keep the meat for a recipe then I would be sure to take it out after a few hours.<br><br>
I know some folks like to add all sorts of other things, but I like to keep mine simple so the stock has greater versatility.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts