Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a big ole hunk of meat thawing to try in my new dehydrator tomorrow, but i need a marinade recipe. all the ones ive found online call for liquid smoke, and i dont have any and cant get to the store, so anyone want to share their best jerky recipe?

also, my dh is in iraq- the jerky would be fine to mail him right? i mean if its done right and packaged right (i have a vacuum sealer) its not gonna go bad in the 4 or 5 days its in the mail right?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
: Looking forward to the replies. I'm searching for ones that don't have soy sauce in them.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
What about using something like balsamic vinegar, pineapple juice, tamari, and crushed garlic?

I would think that the jerkey would be fine to mail to your Dh. As long as it's well dried, the moisture content (which is what allows the bacteria to grow) will be pretty low.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I use Tone's brand Canadian Steak Seasoning. (no msg or crap).

Sprinkle that liberally over the meat and then I pour maple syrup on the meat and let sit for a few hours. I find that 1-2 hours is plenty.

Make sure you meat is thin and in strips. My jerky is WONDERFUL!!!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
If you cannot get tones, I would use dried garlic, black pepper crushed not powdered, you want the biggish chunks, coarse salt, etc...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
:

Here's the ingredients in Tone's Canadian Steak Seasoning that the pp mentioned:

Salt, Dehydrated Garlic, Black Pepper, Dehydrated Onion, Spices, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Red Pepper

I'm wondering what "spices" are used? I also have a package of turkey jerky that lists "spices". I can't figure out what they use.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We always use brown sugar and soy sauce. Add some crushed pepper to make spicey. Only dip and coat the meat in the sauce, don't really marinate them - it's too soggy then.

Good luck

Beef Jerky YUM
My favorite!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts