Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>lordy lordy....what have I gotten myself into.  How do I do lace pattern?  and when it says 3 times - 12 rounds total - what does that mean?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>help someone - maybe there is a really good website I could go to for direction?</p>

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
<p>Could you link the pattern?  I looked on ravelry and I saw several hats with Amanda in the title, but none of them were lace, so I don't know what hat you are doing.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>For the "3 times, 12 rounds total", probably this instruction comes after instructions for 4 rounds, and it would mean to repeat those 4 rounds 3 times, which is a total of 12 rounds.  Hard to say for sure without seeing the context though.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How do you do lace pattern - if the pattern is telling you to "do lace pattern", then there is probably a section at the beginning or end of the pattern that gives instructions or a chart for the lace pattern.  </p>

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>jeez it won't let me cut and paste into here for some reason....it is on page 2 after searching amanda hat by Gina house</p>

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
<p><a href="http://www.yogagardennh.com/Patterns/AmandaHat.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.yogagardennh.com/Patterns/AmandaHat.pdf</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think this is it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, you start with the garter stitch ribbing, which is a total of 9 rounds (rounds 1 then 2 four times, then round 1 again). Then you go up to the section titled Lace Background Pattern, which has a list for directions for four rounds. You go through the directions for rounds 1-4 three times, which makes 12 rounds total (4x3=12).</p>

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<p>ok thank you for the help....in your opinion do you think this may be too difficult for a beginner knitter? </p>

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
<p>How beginner are you? I think it would be okay for someone who was comfortable knitting in the round and had maybe made a few basic hats and wanted to branch out. There are videos on knittinghelp.com that explain things like yo and psso, if you don't know those.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's a pretty hat... maybe I'll make one!</p>

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<p>I have made one hat in the round - a few years ago...and really just a scarf.  But it is going so far so good - I started this afternoon.  I am ok if it doesn't turn out perfect I will try again.  Also, the garter ribbing - is this the same as stockinette just called something different or am I missing something?</p>

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
<p>No, garter ribbing is garter stitch, not stockinette. When you knit flat if you knit every row you get garter stitch, and if you alternate you can stockinette. When you're knitting in the round, though, you're always knitting on the same side of the garment, so if you knit every row you get stockinette, and if you alternate you get garter stitch.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Good luck with your hat! I'll await pictures of the finished product.</p>

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<p>Oooh what a pretty hat. I think I may make this</p>

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<p>Thank you Dar for the clarification on the garter, I think I am getting it.  As for pictures they may not be for a few months...ha ha....I will prob. be back with further questions for my knitting mentor...</p>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts