Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so before i dive into my first official knitting project, i have to ask:

are you supposed to start using the yarn from the outside of a wound roll or try and start from the inside?

i'm not talking about the fancy handmade yarns that come in a loop that just invites tangling and should probably be wound into a ball first.

just the average everyday kinda wool yarn.

(i know this is a silly question, but i'm a perfectionist...)

~claudia

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
On a regular, store-bought, mass-produced skein, YES pull from the inside. A lot of the time, the label has directions on how to start the skein.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Claudia,
Good to see you over here! I have lots of acrylic for you to practice with if you'd like it. I only knit with acrylic for about 3 months or so after learning to knit. I made the jump to "nice" stuff (wool) when I did my first big project...a wool blanket for the babe. After working with acrylic, buying wool seemed like such a committment. As a bargain shopper to the core, I found wholesale deals on ebay and locally. I just could not justify knitting myself a $90 poncho. I am more likely to pay retail for yarn these days just to support the local yarn store, but even then it stings.
See you around. Give that boy a hug from us!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Claudia- Pull from the inside- and don't worry if you can't find the exact tail of the yarn- feel for the tiniest strand you can get from the core- and pull it out- if you get a small tangle- don't fret, unwind it- it's only a few yards of yarn and you will knit them all up in a jiffy. After you are well past the 1/2 point of your skein- it may get floppy and no longer support itself well enough for center-pull. At some point you may resort to winding whats left of the skein into a plain old ball of yarn. If you can't figure out how to wind your own center pull ball- it's nice to put your ball in a container- like a basket or a jar, so when you unroll it- it does not roll across the room.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.