Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Started actively toilet training DD last week (she did great with potty learning many months back) and she's doing amazingly well. Still learning to control the poops but does well with peeing. She's very proud of herself and we're proud. I've noticed though (maybe it's not related to the training and just usual 2.5 year old behavior?) but she doesn't listen, ignores what I tell her and is disagreeable about nearly everything. I tell her to come here. She tells me she's all done. I don't think I've heard the word no so much before.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We haven't had meal time drama in a while. Give her dinner and she says, "no thank you. all done!" Could this be related to her learning something new or just the trials and annoyances of a two year old?</p>

·
Registered
145 Posts
<p>My DD turned 2 a month ago and this sounds exactly like her!  It was like hitting a switch.  My normally agreeably, helpful, little handful (she's always been strong willed, but never with such overwhelming constancy) has turned into the "no way." machine.  Every little thing seems to upset her, prior to this she was very easygoing, and she doesn't want to eat-even her favorite foods, unless its fruit.  While the potty learning (which we are also doing, although this area is not a particular struggle right now-she's very into it) may play a role, I chalk it up to developing her own independence and emotions. We've always talked to her about her emotions and what she's feeling, but have tried to do alot of this and encourage her to talk about it instead of just crying/screaming, which helps some.  We've also stepped up our discipline, which interestingly has helped her have fewer meltdowns as well (once she has accepted an expectation b/c we've been much more consistent about it-sitting down for dinner and not taking play breaks for example, she begins to happily follow the standard and there are fewer struggles and meltdowns).</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts