Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted here in a while but wanted to come to this forum to ask a few questions. My son is 5 and has sensory integration and mild PDD. He's very high functioning and very intelligent. Has some problems with socialization and communication - not using language correctly, perseverative speech. Has a mild expressive and receptive language disorder. He's been getting OT and speech therapy since March.

Recently I enrolled him in a social skills group being he's starting at Montessori pre-K next week. I thought it would help get him ready for school. Anyway, it turns out the group uses behavioral therapy during the session. Basically the kids HAVE to do what all the other kids are doing to some extent. For example, they have circle time and have to sit in a chair. If they don't they are basically forced to, they don't have to participate in the activity but have to sit down. So my son went to his first session Tuesday and turns out he was the only one there as the other kids cancelled for this week. So they just worked with him. They stated out singing a hello song and for some reason my son gets very upset when people sing, clap, etc. He starts crying and screaming loud and then shuts down for a while, you can't get him to do anything even if it's something he loves. He'll just scream and cry and say he doesn't want to do it. After the song I explained this to them since I was in the room but they continued their activiites and for almost an hour he was hysterical, kept saying he wanted mommy. I was in tears and pretty upset at the way they were forcing him to sit in the chair, holding him down in it, etc. Evenutally for about the last 45 minutes he calmed down for the most part and was o.k. But it was very traumatizing for both of us I think.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if any of you have used behavioral therapy for your special needs kids and what you think of it. I'm trying to decide if we should continue this or not. I'd hate to see him be like this every week - and we're supposed to go 2x/week for 2 hours each time. I really just wanted to do this to help him be ready for school, especially since he's very used to just being at home and doing his own thing, not really used to any real structured environment. Although being Montessori is more into child led learning he may be o.k. there, I don't know. But any feedback on this behavioral therapy would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Noelle

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
We ahve used several different behavior programs, and in NONE of them did that kind of thing happen. I would RUN (not walk) from a program where they were forcing or physically restraining a child. That is not acceptable IMHO.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have no experience with behavior therapy. That being said, however, I agree completely with Khrisday. I would get as far away from that program as possible. I cannot imagine a program that forces a child, physically or otherwise, to do something to be a positive experience. But, as Khrisday said, that's just my opinion.
's to you 'cause it sounds like you needed it after your ordeal! ~ Brook

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, RUN... that is insane

Eli was in behavior therapy last year, it did absolutely nothing for him. These (autism related problems and SID) are not behavior related problems, they are brain processing problems and usually linked to diet.

I am sorry that your child went thru this, but from experience, it will do nothing but further frustrate him.

Blessings~
Heather

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for your responses everyone. I talked to his speech therapist about it and she felt it wouldn't be good for me to continue either. But said to bring him to one more session when other kids would be there and see what happened. If it was the same as the first then don't do it anymore.

So we did and he was completely fine the second and third time. Sat in the circle, sang the songs, comforted other children, etc. So for now I will keep him there. It's an eight week session and to be honest I don't think he'll need more than that. I don't know if it's because other kids were there or what but he was a completely different child at the second session. It definitely was not what I expected to happen, I was so anxious going there the second time.

Thanks again everyone,
Noelle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.