Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Can this work?   I REALLY want to homeschool ds.  He is 3 now and homeschooled, but I live with my parents work only very part time, and basically rely on them for food/housing (I pay for everything else, all of ds's stuff).   </p>
<p> </p>
<p>He is super smart and I think b/c of this homeschooling is the best for him.  Im doing kindergarden work with him now at 3, and I'm worried that sticking him in school will just be boring for him!  Plus I think its crazy how much time at school is spent not actually doing anything (waiting in line for things, waiting for other kids to stop talking, etc).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My mom taught kindergarden for 18yrs but is sorta retired for now and working on her masters, and I am currently working on my teaching degree. I'll have an AA in liberal arts by April.  My college is paid for (funds set up by various relatives from when I was a baby), so thats not an issue.   </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So anyway, I'm 24yrs old and obviously dont want to live with my parents forever!  When I get a 4yr degree I have a down payment for a house, and hopefully that will take just another year-18months to get (once I get my AA, I already have 30ish credits beyond that twards a 4yr)  I just need a job that will be good enough to pay mortgage, utilities, food, and other living expenses. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess my question is, can I make it work?   Is there a job I can get and make enough $ but stay home with ds?  Or somehow work a shift that would still allow me to be with him during the day?  Or find a homeschooling family he can hang out with during the day while I work?  Or have my mom homeschool him? (I dont really want to put that on her)  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Or do I just HAVE to put him in school to make it work?   </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I kinda feel like I need to go find a new husband just so I can have the income needed to stay home with him or switch shifts so someone can be with him.  Which is just not going to happen at this point, I have zero interest in finding someone, I'm very happy being single after what I went through!  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Single homeschooling moms, how do you do it???   </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>(sorry for rambling, I hope that made sense)</p>

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
<p>Did you cross post in homeschooling? I think it would be feasible w/ one child if you had a lucrative sah job.</p>

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
<p>Yes, this is totally possible. You can raise your children however you choose to raise them! You just have to decide what your personal priorities are as far as parenting, income, lifestyle, etc. My kids were 2 and 4.5 when they're dad left. I had nothing but the debt he had taken out in my name without my knowledge before he went. I had no friends or family to support me at the start. It was HARD, as are the paths of any of the mamas here, but homeschooling was a part of our family lifestyle so we made it work. There's no reason you should wonder if you can homeschool them any more than you should wonder if you can handle dealing with the public schools. Honestly, the parents I know with kids in school are burdened with more stress, expenses, and time constraints than I am homeschooling. I don't think I could have handled the hassle of putting my kids in school without a spouse to help out...and even now that I have one, I don't see why I'd want to. ;)</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts