Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are possibly moving to Maine, near Belfast or within 45 min or so either direction on the coast. We want to start a small farm and sell our organic produce as part of our income. Would people there buy our stuff? My husband is from Minneapolis and I am from Wa state (which is where we are now) so we are trying to get an idea if our plan/dream could be successful there.<br><br>
We are worried that more people there may be growing their own and so don't need to buy any or that people just won't want to spend more to buy farm/organic stuff.<br><br>
We would prefer to sell close by where we live, but could go somewhere within an hour. We can sell at farmer's markets, have a CSA or use a farmstand.<br><br>
We would love any ideas/opinions on this. We have long been searching for a place to live in the U.S. in a rural/small town area that is also progressive and cheaper to buy a home (there are not many places like this), and coastal Maine up near Belfast or around there has been suggested to us by a few people, when I asked last year on this forum.<br><br>
However, part of our dream is to sell our veggies/fruits and we want to figure out whether that could actually work there. Of you have a better idea of a place where that could work and we could still have the other things we want, then suggest that too!!<br><br>
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
There is a huge market for this type of thing here. At least I see it that way. There are a lot of local farm stands, farmers markets and the like. I know when I go to my town's local farmer's market, it seems like all of the vendors there are organic. Maybe that's not 100% true, but it's definitely more the norm than not.<br><br>
We have our own garden, but I still buy produce from our local farmstand. Bought some peas this afternoon on my way to pick the boys up at summer camp! Yummy, fresh peas! I think there is a great "buy local" mentality here.<br><br>
Have you contacted <a href="http://www.mofga.org/" target="_blank">MOFGA</a>? (Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association). Awesome organization with great resources.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I was going to mention that there are is a lot of competition in this area (I am about 30-40m from Belfast) I know there are as many as 10 CSA's in my area and it seems that every home I pass has a garden (I do live in a rural area though) I'm not trying to discourage you of course. I heartily recommend moving here! Its great and crunchy and there is a great network of moms here. But as far as organic veggies......there is a great supply for the demand.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies - kind of along the lines of what we thought it would be. Anyone think it would be harder for us to sell our produce, not being locals? Please tell what you really think!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live 30 minutes north of Belfast in Bucksport. I definitely agree with the previous post about contacting MOFGA. It is a great organization.<br><br>
I'd also suggest contacting some of the organic farms in the area and chatting with the farmers. Two come to mind near us that are really active and great folks. The King Hill Farm in Penobscot (Jo Barrett at 207-326-9701) or the Happy Town Farm in Orland (Paul Volckhausen). They are both really established and have been around for ages.<br><br>
Also, it might be helpful to contact some of the newer farmers in the area. Mandala Farm is in Goldsboro (farther downeast than Belfast by about 90 minutes) and is run by two friends of ours. They started it about 5 years ago. They are from out of state (though went to college in Bar Harbor), so they can give more insight to your question about not being from Maine.<br><br>
Lastly, if you are planning a visit, do so to coincide with the Common Ground Fair (see information on the MOFGA website). It is an incredible event, and you can get lots of information from local farmers while there.<br><br>
Good luck! It is a great area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts