Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a native of Western Washington and my family and I are moving to Bellingham by way of Bangkok this summer. It will be our first time living in the area and I am trying to sort out childcare options for our, now, 17 month old daughter. I will be going back to work 4 days/week and my husband will be staying at home with her at least through the rest of the year, and possibly longer. Still, we are looking into part-time preschool/daycare and, especially, any place that offers drop-in service. Does anyone have a recommendation for us? My daughter likes being with other children and is used to being in the care of others (I work two days/week now), so I think in the right environment she will be very happy. But I am looking for a place that would jive our AP attitudes and be comfortable with cloth diapering.<br><br>
One a related, but separate, question. What is the going rate for babysitting in the area?<br><br>
Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting to know all the Skagit moms on here!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should mention that I will be working downtown and we are not sure where we will be living yet. The places I am interested in, so far, are:<br><br>
Bellingham Cooperative School<br>
A Loving Space Preschool<br>
Blossom Childcare & Learning Center<br>
YMCA<br><br>
The last two are the ones I think I would most like to hear comments on, as I am the least sure about them. They both take children at a younger age and do the whole day thing. So, I guess they are truly daycare centers, while the first two seem more like preschools. I am more drawn to the former, but if we end up needing care before the little one turns three, I don't think they would be an option.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
There is a lady I know of (I do not know her personally but once spoke with her about a job) who is in Ferndale, near Bellingham. She has a Waldorf style in home daycare. I do not know anything about her rates, hours, etc, but she seemed very nice. I will PM you her email address.<br><br>
I don't know anything about any of the others, as I ended up not moving to Bellingham, but hopefully you can find someone who is perfect for your family!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got your message - thank you!

·
Registered
140 Posts
We moved from Bellingham 6 months ago, so I can give you a bit of advice. Blossom's is a very popular daycare, though they have a ridiculously long waiting list. I have heard that the community college has a really nice childcare facility, though I'm not sure how AP friendly it is. There are lots of nanny's and in home daycare centers their as well, but I couldn't really tell you what the going rate is for these places. Good luck, Bellingham is a beautiful city.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mtbmomma! I will definitely look into the community college.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts