Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girls each lost their stumps pretty early (5 days and 7 days old). We did nothing half of the time and swabbed with alcohol the other half... They have never looked like they were getting infected or irritated, but one of them seems to be bleeding from down on the inside. I don't see it actively bleed, but at diaper changes I noticed dried blood in small amounts around it. It looks like there could be a small amount of cord still there that maybe isn't drying up b/c it's deep down inside.

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
899 Posts
happened to my ds. i'd say don't dig around with swabs too much. i think i made that mistake and it took long time to heal. sounds pretty normal. keep the area clean... fold diapers down so it can get air. it will heal up in time. it took our ds quite a while before dried blood stopped comming out.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
My MW said that it can be normal for the belly button to bleed a little after the stump falls off. Aevryn's stump has been off for well over a week now and it still bleeds occassionally - from really deep inside. I think it's because I wear her tummy-to-tummy and her diaper cover (bummis SWW) rubs against it. that's my guess anyway. It doesn't seem to bother her, and it doesn't look infected. If it's still bleeding when we see our family doctor next week (for her intro "just saying hi" appt) I was going to ask him about it then...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes me feel better - we've got a checkup next week, so I'll ask about it then if it's still happening, but I until then I won't worry anymore unless it starts to look irritated or infected...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.