Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was born a week ago. I just ignored the umbilical stump as recommended. It fell off today... but his poor little belly button is a mess. It has puss and smells. I cleaned it out with a little rubbing alcohol and put some bacitracin on it. Should I call the ped? Or does this just happen sometimes? (My first son's fell off without incident.) Anything else I should do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Are you sure it's pus? Is it oozing? It's normal to smell a bit. Is it very foul or do you have to get close to smell it? Is it red around the area? Is there any fever? How is the baby acting? Normally just cleaning around the outside with water is sufficient, and it's normal for it to look a little gross.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, oozing. Smelled strongly enough that you don't have to be close. No fever... baby has been antsy/cranky this morning, but that could be gas, etc.

I'm glad it's normal to look a little gross, but it still looks infected to me.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My DD's belly button smelled incredibly foul right before the stump fell off... and we didn't have to get close to smell it! If you're worried, you can always call your ped.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
My ds1's got funky after his cord fell off and I did have the ped look at it, he told me it was fine (he was actually pretty dismissive
: ). It actually was fine though.

I would put breastmilk in it (that's my cureall) and see if that helps it heal up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
hi mama.
my dd cord just fell off last night and i was wondering the same thing. the base of the cord looked yellow - it smelled a bit too. but i think it just wasn't getting enough air. as i thought about it - if i let a scab get too wet - it stinks and turns yellow as well....
i used alcohol and kept her in a gown so it could get more air. there was no redness or swelling - the cord just looked yellow and gross. there was no oozing and nothing was on the alcohol pad after i cleaned it (no yellow color, etc.)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ds was born at home and we went to see the ped at one week. His cord had not fallen off and was red and smelly. The ped sent us to the ER for a blood test b/c she thought he had an infection in his umbilicus, which would mean a hospital stay. I was in tears until the test results came back negative for any infection. The ER doc gave us Bactroban b/c the outside (not the umbilicus) was a little infected. That was the scariest thing ever, but the Bactroban cleared up the redness right away. If I were you, I would go to the ped.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi ladies,

Thanks for all the responses. I cleaned it off gently twice yesterday, and just let it get air. This morning it looks much better. Luckily, I'm seeing the midwife today, so I'll ask her what she thinks and then see if the ped is necessary from there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.