Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been intrigued by bellydancing for years. I was wondering if I could use bellydancing as a form of exercise this winter?

Classes aren't an option w/dh's work schedule/ds2's hatred of the car - what dvd's would you suggest?

Would a 2.5yo be intriqued enough to let me get in an exercise? Meaning are the dvds entertaining to watch?

Can a, ummm, fluffier type person bellydance? My belly already dances plenty on its own, but I'd like to teach it some self-control, yk?
Or do you have to already look "belly-dancer-esque "?

TIA!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I like the "Bellydance for Weight Loss" dvds. There are a ton of them and they're great. My older ds is almost 2 (just a couple more days!
) and he likes to dance around me while I do it. For that reason I try to do it, at least sometimes, when he's napping or in the morning when he's still asleep. But when I do it when he's up I just make sure to watch my step (we've had a few flying leap collisions, he was the one doing the flying leap
). The best price I've seen them is at Barnes and Noble with their discount card but even their online price is lower than a lot of other places.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Belly dancing is great and really works you out if you do it for a good hour. If I have a very intense class my abs, arms, and legs, are soooo so sore the next day. It also makes you feel beauty and just plain sexy.

Go for it Girl!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Bellydance is a great workout! I used to teach a bellydance fitness class to help some of the folks in the studio get in shape for long performances and shows. A class a few times a week will help get you in shape as will home practice, and there are also a number of videos that mix bellydance steps and music with a good aerobic workout.

Veena and Neena have a good set of videos for fitness, and I think their workouts are pretty good. There are other ones out there, including a yoga/bellydance tape that has gotten some good reviews.

If you've done some dancing, it's pretty easy to pick some music and some steps to customize a workout. My class went something like this.
1. Slow music, some easy traveling steps and slow circular moves to warm up. (5-10 min.)
2. More slow music, gentle strecthing (5 - 10 min)
3. Upbeat folkloric music with energetic, aerobic steps. This part increased in intensity and ended with some jumping steps. (20 min)
4. Fast music and a shimmy layering drill. This exercise involved getting a shimmy going and layering other steps on top until the music ended. (2-4 minutes)
5. Cool down: Medium paced song with the class in a circle doing a simple set of travelling steps to get the heartrate down. (5 minutes)
6. Sue's killer arm drill..slow music and controlled arm movements like snake arms .( 5 minutes)
7. (optional) floorwork/leg exercises to build muscles for floorwork steps.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been taking classes for about a year now and I really love it. I have used videos in the past, but I think that having an instructor is so much better. I understand if its not possible though...

I find that its a great workout, but not highly aerobic. Its good for your muscles though, especially in your lower belly, lower back, upper belly, and obliques. Oh, and your booty!

I have a small frame, but I was by far the smallest in my class. Most of the women were plus-sized. It really doesn't matter what size you are
As a matter of fact, most belly dancers have a little tummy on them. I was a bit horrified when I first learned belly rolls and my stomach took on a more rounded appearance. Luckily that has gone away!

I have tried a few videos. I have Dolphina's Goddess Workout, but I find her to be a bit odd. I've also tried some with the twins (Neena and Veena or something like that) and they were pretty good

Have fun! I'm sure you'll love it!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Quote:
I find that its a great workout, but not highly aerobic. Its good for your muscles though, especially in your lower belly, lower back, upper belly, and obliques. Oh, and your booty!
:

I have Neena and Veena and just started. I was so surprised how sore I was, b/c it really doesn't seem so strenuous. In a way it kind of relaxes me and on the days where I don't feel like jumping all around with aerobics or anything I put in my bellydancing dvd.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
The local bellydance troupe is primarily "fluffy" women. I will say that the one slender gal is the only one who performs ab work. But you don't have to do belly rolls and such to belly dance.

I think you'd have a lot of fun with it.

Interestingly, belly dancing began as a labor aid, women in the community would dance for the birthing woman to remind her of what her body needed to do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, and beware if you have an irritable or sensitive uterus and you're pregnant. The first 2 times I tried bellydancing were during my pregnancy and kick-started pre-term labor

The belly rolls feel to me very much like being in labor. Its strange.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I'm 4 weeks into a 5 week bellydance course offered through our local parks & rec dept and I love it! The next session doesn't start until late January, so I think I'm going to pick up a DVD and start doing it at home some. Plus, I want to do it more than once a week. There are all kinds of body types in our class, but we all look great and have fun dancing. I'm on the very curvy
side myself.

If I can arrange for childcare for my toddler then I'm going to take the next session too. We (the newbies) also have the option of practicing to perform at an event in April. I'll be 6 months pregnant then, but she said it would be great for me to get out there and perform while pregnant. I'm hoping to do it, I think it would be a great way to celebrate my pregnancy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.