Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hip mamas! I know there are at least a few other bellydancing mamas out there shakin it.

I've been dancing about ten years now, teaching and performing for 4. I like Turkish gypsy style dancing and am always researching and writing about pre and post natal benefits of bellydancing

I'd love to hear from other bellydancin mamas

blessings,
Chris

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Hi! i have danced since i was prego with my dd who is now 3.5. I've not been doing it lately. I really should. My teacher offered me a chance to assist with her and then i couldnt do it at the time. I want to call her and see if shes still interested in my help. I love it! I love all kinds but have not settled in to any particular groove. I am interested in your writing since i find it fascinating that belly dance can and was used in benefit to pregnant and birthing women.
Laura

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I wish - still trying to find a local class. Closest one is 45 mins away and costs an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I took my first class a few months ago but haven't done it since. I'm 4 months pregnant now and new to Syracuse, NY, so if anyone knows of any classes in the area, I'd love to hear about it! (Especially tailored to pregnant women)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Madd, Glad i could help. Listen, She is an awesome woman and if you think of it Tell her you learned of her from a "weed woman (Susun weed)"
ps: dont know if you read but I began my bellydancing while pregnant with my dd. It's soo great!

laura

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I've been bellydancing (on and off) since I was 8!

I teach Tribal fusion style here in Toronto.... and in fact, I have my dance bag all packed and ready to go, cause I'm performing tonight out in Guelph

I know there are other bellydancing mamas cause I've had some PM conversations with some

·
Registered
4 Posts
Madd DID get in touch, Lauraess, and it was the Weed Woman hint that got me over here! How good of you.

Hmmmmm. PA.....mother to Aidan '98.....jog my memory here, I'm gettin' olde.....Wise Woman Forum???

I started Belly Dancing at the ripe olde age of 49, how's THAT! Never too late. I'm now a 53 year old Granny and teaching these past 3 years and dancing up a storm.

I recently began to research the notion of teaching BellyDancing SPECIFICALLY for pregnant women as I'd had a few pregnant dancers in my regular classes and I wanted to offer them a bit more than "Take it real EASY with this move".

My own daughter 'danced in ' with my class when she was just 2 mos pregnant and I found myself instructing the class on the move and instructing HER not to scramble my GRANDCHILD!!!

I did get the video "Belly Dancing During Pregnancy" which is certainly worth seeing ONCE. If you can get it from your library I would. It's really SLOW, especially the extremely lengthy intro. But I got a sense of focusing on the ROUND moves, the ROLLING moves and leaving off the sharp, hip-kickin' FIRE moves. So much bellydancing can be done on those birthing balls. Even just the arm and hand movements can get a woman just FEELING all graceful and sensuous.

But between this and the internet research I've done (and MamaChris, I'd love to hear what you've come up with...) the most striking thing was this notion of the laboring woman's BellyDancing Tribe attending the birth with her and undulating gently all around her. Not only is the soft, sensuous movement hypnotic and relaxing for the laboring woman, HER body would involuntarily pick up the movement, which is PERFECT during labor....round, rolling, utterly relaxed, BEAUTIFUL.

I danced for one of my pregnant student's baby shower and invited the women guests to join me with at least waving flowy scarves around. Our mama said her baby danced WITH us every minute the music was playing. This is GOOD.

I'm so glad we're coming BACK to this. Glad that BellyDancing is HOPEFULLY inching away from the Las Vegas Girl striptease thing and reclaiming its place among the woman WITH bellies, to remind us of the true beauty and POWER of the female body.

Delighted with the invite to come visit THIS tribe,
LadyB

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
LadyB:
:

Yes, It is the wise woman forum that i know you from. I dont spen a whole lot of time there but I love it, and I know you are wise.
As you talked about I am also very taken with the idea and apparently the fact that bellydancing was used many moons ago as a way to show the laboring woman how to get the baby out. Thats essentially why i started when pregnant and went up until about 8 mo. I continued and have always loved it's ability to make me feel sensuous. My dd whom i was pregnant with when dancing has quite an ability to move and dance already at 3-- tho if it's inherited or what is a guess>> I just know that what is truly good for mom is good for the child.
The funny thing is that my best friend is going to have me as her coach during her labor this month and Im thinking about asking her what she might think of me dancing a bit.
so, along with my essential oil and music I'd be carrying along my hip-scarf as well!

another fun note in reference to you saying its great that belly dancing brings acceptance of the soft and round body>> When people learned i was dancing, and mind you I am a very slender lady, they would say sometimes " dont you have to have a belly for that? " Where-upon i informed them that I DID have quite a belly when I started and now I have a smaller one---- And I LOVE IT. It's not flat anymore and my dd finds it funny but i do love it!
laura(elfie to you)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The way I 'win over' the newbies who come to my demos all anxious that they don't know if they can DOOOO this, is to pound on my own belly and pronounce that it's just PUDDING.

No. My belly will NEVER ever be flat and that's just FINE with me. Got some wicked muscles AROUND the pudding that can send ye olde hips FLYIN'....but six pack abs? Not interested.

Got my navel pierced when I was FIFTY.....what a hoot

Yeah, when you think on it....graceful and sensuous SHOULD be words that float around the pregnant woman, but usually DON'T.....it's a spectacular gift you give your baby to have music MOVING through your body. Now my daughter went from bellydancing to mad, Brazilian SambaDancing while she was pregnant, but I have to TELL you: my Grandson, at 15 months, gives in to absolute DANCE-ATTACKS. Doesn't hurt that his Dad's an ACC0MPLISHED percussionist too.

I actually brought the bellydance music I'd chosen for Allison's Baby Shower and we played the CD through ONCE while she was in labor. I had purposely chosen really smooth, round, slow music. It felt good (to me!) during that 4am time......(which had us all at thirteen hours and counting....) But mostly Steven Halpern and his faerie bells was what Allison most wanted.

So truly, even those of you NOWHERE near a bellydance teacher who can teach for pregnancy, can head over to www.magnatune.com and download EVERYthing Solace has ever done for $8 per CD. (and you can listen to everything first) I use Rhythm of the Dance for much of my classwork. But seriously, if you do nothing but let the music move THROUGH you and sit in your computer chair and ROCK, I guarantee, you'll FEEEEEEL it. It's truly nourishing.

And yes, 'elfie' see you back in the WeedPatch!
LadyB

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I just started taking classes!

They're great; they're once a week and only $10 a class.

I am having a bit of a hard time accepting the fact that my postbaby gut will be hanging out, jiggling around, when I perform. I know it's really not that big of a deal, but I used to have a perfect body (seriously) so it's kind of hard for me to accept, ya know?

Anyhoo, I'm doing a beginner dance on the 22nd of this month and I'm pretty psyched! I would loooove to get really good at bellydancing.... I've always kind of bellydanced naturally at music events, and it's neat to finally be able to learn how to do it "properly"!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Candiland> Heymama! dont worry, jiggling is fun and okay.. I understand tho, I used to have a perfect body also(nokidding here either) but now, It's perfect for bellydancing and kids hugs and ya know what, with enough shimmies and hip lifts you can get firmer. no flat bellies maybe but firmer enough to hold it better as you wiggle and roll and sinuously move to the music! Have fun!!!
laura

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Thanks, lauraess!

Hey, I just ran into an *issue* with my dh last night regarding bellydancing.

My instructor told us that it's always a good idea to wear 2 pairs of underwear; that way, when the top pair is pulled on to put tips in, you'll have another set of undies underneath so nothing would show. I shared this tidbit with dh (bad move!) and he nearly died....

He can't believe that professional bellydancers make tips... he likens it to stripping because "you're turning men on and they're tipping you for it". He kinda freaked out and said he has no problem with me belly dancing, but dancing in front of men for money was just totally wrong and unacceptable. I asked him what the heck he thought belly dancing was? (I know, it's not solely for mens' benefit, and I do know the history of belly dancing, but in our society, it can get misconstrued).

He's generally pretty easygoing... not controlling at all... but this has him totally freaked. I don't feel like his insecurities should rule what I can and can't do.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or any advice?

TIA!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
My dh is feeling pretty much the same way, and I do understand his point of view. he's gone to Restaurants and shows and he knows "how" they dance and has seen what i would describe as innocent flirting and innocent appreciation for the dance all in the name of entertainment and fun. There is no sexual context or what we would call intent i guess, but he still would not like me dancing professionally for reasons such as you describe. I believe in our marriage to be flexible and honoring of his feelings here. I would love to dance in a restaurant but would probobly need his blessing to do so.
here is an important thing to know: Traditionally in cultures where bellydancing is an old art it is not okay to put money in clothing--- tippers would stand and splay the money out in a upward fanning way towards the dancer and let it fall.
Laura

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
The idea of tipping in your belt just kind of rubs me the wrong way. I know it's a common practice among bellydancers, but I personally don't think I would be comfortable with it. A bellydancer that I admire puts a basket on her head and dances around with it. She gets down way low to let the little kids put it in too, and if your dh thinks that's sexual, then there's something wrong. Bellydancers don't dance for a crowd of men, they dance for themselves, men, women, and children. How many strippers dance for kids? Bellydancing is a family thing, not a sexual thing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts