Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my stbx is trying to unfairly make $900 at my expense. Would you cause a big stink over principle, a big stink over $900 which I really could use at the end of the divorce, or let him have it and think he can leave me with the shorter end of the stick now as he usually has done in the past? Or just let it go so I don't have to stress about it. I already have a big headache and am fighting off a cold.

·
Registered
706 Posts
$900 is a lot to just let go, or atleast to me, thats a lot of money my kids and I could use. But I guess it depends on how messy everything has been. If you think, he's thinking he gets to pull another one over ya, one last time, I'd fight it.
I dunno, its a tough call depending on your situation. If its been a long grueling battle and you don't really need it, (whatever that means) and its just gonna cause you more unneeded stress, let it go and just think of it as paying him to leave you alone..

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm goign through this with my STBXH. When he left, he promised to payhalf the marital debt ($10,000 in credit cards in MY name). Then, when he got a lawyer, he changed his mind. Basically, I could be divorced now if I agreed to let him walk away from the marriage free and clear - without holding him to his (more then fair) agreement to split the debt.

It's been a very difficult decision, but I have two children to raise and a limited income. He left because he was having an affair and left not only me (very pregnant), but also his children and my older son in the lurch, confused and hurt.
To me, it would be such a major betrayal on my part to let him walk away, completely unfettered with consequence or responsibility.... you know what I mean?

Quite honestly, I'd be happy if he'd just agree that he was responsible for the debt, sign the divorce papers (saying such) and the custody papers and get it over with - even if he never paid a penny. Just for him to admit that he DOES carry the responsibility of some of the marital debt he created. For him to admit he DOES have some consequence for his behaviors. YKWIM?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I've been in a similar situation and after realizing how much I've already spent on the lawyer just holding off....I realize that it's just money and I've decided to let him have it and sign the papers.

Sometimes it makes sense to stand your ground on these things, sometimes it is easier to just walk away from it.

Follow your heart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.