Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a ton of info about how good RRL (raspberry leaf tea) is leading up to delivery - is there a compelling reason to drink it all throughout pregnancy versus only the last few weeks? Have folks found the same benefit only drinking it at the end that those had who drank throughout?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I don't personally think so. I drank it through my entire last pregnancy (and didn't really like it that much) and I had a very difficult birth with several complications. I just don't think theres enough of a good reason to drink it heavily. Plus is gave me a lot of Braxton Hicks. I drink it on occasion now because I have a mix of RRL, nettles, and alfalfa which are full of calcium and minerals.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I bought some recently but haven't tried it yet. It says on the package to make it three times a day and drink it after every meal! I'm actually not that big of a tea drinker (I like it, just don't make it often) so drinking 3x per day would be a ton! I've heard a lot of mixed things about it, I figure if I like it once I try it I'll continue to drink it (once a day).

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
I started drinking it with my last pregnancy starting toward the middle of the 2nd trimester. I have no idea if it made a difference or not, but I went into labor on my due date and delivered 11 1/2 hours later, not bad for a first timer. I also had very minimal bleeding directly after and in the week following birth. I haven't started drinking it yet with this pregnancy but I plan to order some soon.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've drank it in small amounts throughout pregnancy. I am at 31 weeks and I started drinking it a lot more thinking it would help "tone up" the uterus and get me ready but it gave me painful braxton hicks contrax after a few days of drinking it regularly. I then read that the tea can cause this. My other two babies were born a few weeks early and I'm trying to keep this one in there to term so I am not drinking any more unless I get close to my due date. I was really worried I was going to end up on bed rest but as soon as I quit the tea the painful braxton hicks went away.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I began drinking it in the third trimester. I went into labor two days after my EDD based on my LMP and *on* the EDD predicted by a 6 week ultrasound. I was in labor six hours and my contractions were uncomfortable but not painful. Was any of this because of the tea? No clue, but I was drinking it the day my daughter was born

I do know that a better outcome than the one I had would be an awful lot to ask for, so I don't think that I "lost" anything by not starting the tea sooner.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
It has an alkaloid called fragrine that tones the pelvic muscles and uterus -- but only with regular use, which is why it's recommended to drink throughout pregnancy. It has high concentrations of vitamins C, E, and easily assimilated forms of calcium and iron. It's also really high in minerals.

Regular use throughout pregnancy prevents miscarriage and prevents postpartum hemorrhage. It helps contractions be less painful, due to the toning of the muscles. It eases morning sickness.

HTH--

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.