Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I've tried searching the forum and get hundreds of responses, none of which seem to be centered on baby gates. If you know of a thread about this, please direct me there... this forum site is SO HUGE!

We're staying with my mom for the next few months as we move cross-country (easier to jobhunt without a house payment, for example!). Gracie's about to crawl, ANY DAY NOW it looks like, and mom wants a baby gate for the top of the stairs.

It needs to be something we can open and walk through easily, but also that a toddler can't figure out easily. Screwing it into the wall is fine, as we'll be having more kids and this gate will probably stay in place at Grandma's for several years.

Can anybody recommend specific gates/stores (online, probably- small town) for me? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Go to Babies R Us if you have one near by! They have TONS of gates, most of which screw in the wall. We needed one that didn't screw in and had a hard time finding it!

Orion'smommy, we have the Safety First ones. They're pretty good and my 20 month old hasn't figured them out yet. I think they were $20 a piece.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
My baby gate has warnings on it NEVER to place it at the top of steps. I know the 3 gates that I have had, I would've never trusted one to stay in place without screwing into the wall so if you do find one I would defenitely be screwing it into the wall.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The one I have at the top of my stairs, my 4 yo and her friends can't figure it out. It's a Gerry and screws into the wall and opens/closes like a door. It has a strong latch that you have to squeeze open. It's actually hard to open which is fine with me.

I know you said it's fine to screw one in. That's probably best. I wouldn't trust a gate that doesn't screw into the wall. No matter how tight you get it, they can always be pushed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got a walk through gate at walmart (we live in a small town, no other stores)
I think it's made by relago & it wasn't very expensive. It has parts that screw into the wall so it's safe for stairs. It also has a latch that isn't easy for kids, but not so difficult that I can't get though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts