Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin is having her 3rd baby the end of May and has asked for "a sling and/or anything that will make breastfeeding easier!" She has a 3 y.o and a 1 y.o. to follow after also. (Dad will be home for 6 weeks).<br><br>
She has always used a nipple shield (what she used for the first baby).<br><br>
What is a good sling for breastfeeding? I was also thinking of one of those things that slip over your head but have a hard neck to see the baby? *shrug* I've never had a baby........<br><br>
Thank you in advance!<br>
RANDI

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Try the babywearing forum (under natural family living) or <a href="http://www.thebabywearer.com" target="_blank">www.thebabywearer.com</a> for more info on slings.<br><br>
You could also make her a basket with things like lanolin, waterbottle, easy to eat snacks, etc. Nursing pillow.<br><br>
hth<br>
nak

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
there are a lot of great items available for breastfeeding and I hope you get good responses, but one piece of advice I'd hand to her, since she asked is that sometimes it's what you DON'T buy that makes bf'ing successful. no formula in the house, period- if it's not there, you're not tempted to use it.<br><br>
why does she always use the nipple shield?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have a Hotsling, which is a pouch-style carrier and great for nursing. Ring slings are also good from what I hear. I second the recommendation to check out the babywearing forum here or thebabywearer.com.<br><br>
As far as other items... a Boppy with an extra slipcover, some burp cloths (Gerber prefold diapers work well for this purpose), Target nursing tanks, some nursing pads, Lansinoh.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I would agree with checking out the websites mentioned. That said, for me personally I could never nurse in a sling, but I can easily in a wrap. I think it's different for everyone. She definetely doesn't need a lot of gadgets to make bfing work for her though - one of the best bfing presents I ever got was a small basket with a water bottle, some good easy snacks, a copy of the womanly art of breastfeeding and a laminated note card with the local LLL number on it. It's pretty cheap to make but worth sooo much!!! hth and have fun shopping!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I loved my Beco carrier.<br>
I second a book like The Womenly Art.<br>
A water bottle is a great idea...in the beginning you just can't have enough water.<br><br>
Google The Breastfeeding Basket by Colleen Newman....mmore ideas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts