Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,<br>
my son is 8 months old, over 20 lbs, and has recently developed mondo gigantic thighs... very cute, but very hard to diaper!<br>
we were CDing until our septic system froze... so we took a few months off, & are now finding that all our diaper covers, even the ones that say 25 lbs, are too tight around his legs... we're getting rubs... not ok!<br><br>
I liked proraps at the beginning-- he soaked diapers so fast that even if I changed him immediately, he just drenched all his clothes as soon as he peed-- but his proportions have changed a lot since he was a somewhat lankier newborn. Now that he's filled out and has these big legs, I'm not sure what covers to get. Also, he's a much more wiggly and active guy now.<br><br>
I'm also trying to figure out what diapers to get--we only have a dozen larger prefolds & need more of SOMETHING.<br><br>
Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Have you tried knit wool soakers or shorties??? They are so stretchy that it might be the best solution for chubby thighs. <a href="http://www.hyenacart.com" target="_blank">www.hyenacart.com</a> has a million things!

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Are you open to trying wool? If so, I'd recommend the Firefly easy wool diaper covers, size large. Measure your baby's thighs to make sure they would fit, but I think they would. Also, a large aristocrat wool soaker would work well (perhaps not the cutest--I really like the way they look, though, kinda old fashioned. We use them at night, but I always wish we had another one so that I could use it during the day).<br><br>
The cut of the swaddlebees works very well on my chubby-thighed babe (he is 20.5 lbs, 6 months, 27 inches long). I like the pockets, but not the AIO. My ds only likes wool, though, so we can't use them anymore. My baby is not a heavy wetter, and I don't know that the swaddlebees work well with heavy wetters.<br><br>
I just got some premium short prefolds from <a href="http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com" target="_blank">www.greenmountaindiapers.com</a> that are really great. They are as absorbent as a premium, but are cut shorter so that you don't need to fold any diaper over. We use them overnight. For daytime, I like flats and thirsties regular prefolds.<br><br>
HTH!<br><br>
Lex

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
<a href="http://www.dancing-bears.com/index.php?cPath=29" target="_blank">Dancing bears</a> covers are very generous. They're a fleece soaker . . but ditto on what was said about soakers in general - more likely to get a roomy leg cut with them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the suggestions... I'll pick up a few different covers and experiment!<br>
One question about Aristocrats & other pull-on styles... I haven't been using pins/snappis (just holding the dipes on with a wrap cover)... how hard is it to get a pull-on cover onto a squirmy babe while keeping the diaper together? or do you just have to pin/snappi before the cover goes on? any ideas?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Personally, I've found pull-on covers easier getting on my squirmy baby than others. It's difficult to snappi sometimes, yes. But I can put a soaker on while she's standing up or trying to crawl (can't snap a cover around while she's doing either of those things, though).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts