Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're new to CD, switching from sposies at 12 mos (better late than never). We're in our first week and I love it, but am still trying to figure out the best matches. Right now we have 18 prefolds, 6 Kissaluvs contours, 3 Bummis SWW, one Bumkin AIO, one FB and one Snug-to-Fit Supereme fitted.

What have you found to be the best covers for prefolds, esp. in hot weather? Also, do you have any recommendations for what I *need* to add to my stash? I feel like I've got the basics covered, but I'd like to know what makes people really really happy and what is worth the $$.

Thanks! And may I add, I am so very happy to have found you all. It is so easy to forget, in the middle of everything, that I Am Not Alone.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The Bummis SWW are great over prefolds -- you can pin or snappi them, or just tri-fold them and lay in the cover.

My other favorites:

Motherease airflow cover -- you do have use pin or snappi the prefold.
Stacinator Stretch wool cover -- if you get the "old" thinner kind, they are on sale lots of places right now (cottontailbaby.com, zannadu.com...)
Sugarpeas fleece or wool covers -- I prefer the single layer fleece myself (I am currently in love with my stacinator wool covers -- even OVER the sugarpeas wool)...

All of those, you'd need to secure the prefold somehow. But, they are great side-snap covers that allow air flow.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If you like to snappi your prefolds, I recommend Dappi pull-on, Motherease airflow, or Litewraps covers. Or you could use any gorgeous wool as long it has enough coverage to go over the prefold "gussets".

If you don't like to snappi (just prefer to tri-fold in a cover), I recommend Bummis super whisper wraps, proraps, litewraps, or doodlebottoms (www.doodlebottoms.com) trim-fit, depending on what fits your babe best.

Happy cloth diapering!

·
Banned
2,463 Posts
Hiya

We too switched to CD full time later...within the past few months. As of last night (was still using sposies overnight but ventured out and YAY!!! it is better than sposies CDering.) we are FT CD.

Anyhow here is some info I received from the wonderful mamas here to get me going. I have listed my stash below!

Perfect Stash:
12-18 infant prefolds and 2-3 Bummis Super Whisper Wraps. The
prefolds are excellent doublers for night time and outings, and we
still often use one alone in a SWW when we go out. A good basic
diaper system, and very trim.

-6-12 fitted diapers. We like fitted diapers without a cover for
around the house - it helps us know when we miss a pee and a change
is required. We also use one with a prefold for night time. These
days we don't need many because Fallon is diaper free at home during
the day, but this is my plan for the new baby too.

-Wool soakers/longies. Now that I've found this for night time I
can't imagine using anything else! We're using pants made from
recycled wool sweaters over fitted diapers at night and it's
awesome! I plan on using a lot of wool shorts this summer.

-6 pocket diapers (or AIOs). I love my pockets for an easy system
when we're out, especially now that Fallon goes to the potty but
still needs a back-up. Our snap pockets make perfect pull-ups, and
they'll also do extra duty as swim diapers! We stuff these with
infant prefolds as well.

MY STASH

17 Fuzzibunz AIO
I WAHM pocket (similar to Honeyboy)
1 Daisy doodle AIO
6 Bumkins AIO
1 Honeyboy AIO
2 smaller doublers/wipes hemp/fleece
6 terry/cotton doublers
6 Inserts for FB terry/fleece Joey-types
13 prefolds (cotton)
24 Hemp boosters/inserts assorted sizes and styles
2 Kushies covers
2 Bumkins covers
1 Bummis SWW

Tip: I use teatree oil in my diaper pail. Smell is lightened up!

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Great suggestions!

·
Registered
717 Posts
For under clothes I like the bummis sww for trifolded prefolds... on hotter days I like the bummis original nylon w/mesh inside with a trifolded prefold. I feel like it's thinner/cooler?

When she's running around naked either an uncovered pf or a big poofy wool or fleece cover (since I've yet to find a cover that's not to big for her besides the bummis. (oh and they are coming out with a fleece cover!)

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I use pinned pf's w/ wool knit soakers/shorts/longies year round. I can count on one hand the number of times poo has gotten on my wool..and that's because I didn't get it snug enough. I also really like wool interlock covers. Very trim and stretchy. They won't work for overnight, but they are great under clothes!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I cannot say enough about wool. It's a scary step.. but well worth it!! My dd seems to be sensitive to the heat.. and comes up with rashes when she's gotten to hot. So for that reason, we used wool 99% of the time with our fitteds. I'd highly recommend Nickers.biz. She's so wonder to work with! I'm sure you could get a lot of recommendations if you asked for suggestions on affordalbe, and soft wool on the boards

My perfect stash consists of a lil of everything.. wool, prefitteds, fitteds, aio's and pockets
My favorite brands (though some are hard to get a hold of.. I'd highly recommend them if you see them) are Kiwi Pie, Nickers, Mosaic Moon, Funny Farm creations, Grow Me a Rainbow, Fussybutts, Luxe, First Class Baby/Little Caboose, Very Baby and Swaddlebees!

Congrats on the switch, and welcome to the CD world

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I
our Mother-Ease Air Flows. They seemed to breathe much better than the Bummis I had (and later sold), and fit ds better.

Wool is also nice and breathable, but not a good idea for running around the yard or playground (ime it'll get beat up or stained). But around the house or errands where ds can't find mud or grass wool works great (and I always get comments on how cool they are, and omg, are they homemade? that kind of thing).

We also let ds run around in *just* a prefold half the time (no cover). A few less steps at diaper changing time and ds's butt can really breathe that way.

Lanna

·
Registered
258 Posts
i like wool. its expensive and takes special washing.

although..

i make covers out of wool sweaters i find at thrift stores that are the soft not scratchy type.

i use the arm cuffs for leg cuffs and the neck cuff for a waist. i use a simple pants pattern.

i can make 1 cover with 1 sweater for 5 bucks.

i get lazy and put them in with my diaper wash and lanolize in the dryer. sometimes.

but really cheap and has she grows out of them i make her new ones.

i can email or pm pictures if you like.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts