Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a drying rack that they LOVE? I'm looking for a folding rack that stands on the floor and am finding an overwhelming number of options. Thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
There was a thread on this a long time ago, and you might try searching for it.

I know Vermont Country Store carries them. I plan to get one this year. I have no idea how good the quality is, though. I am hoping it is well-made, because I have ordered other things from them over the years and been very pleased.

I'm sure you could google them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have two that I purchased from Ikea ten years ago. They are enameld metal and I love them. I do not know if Ikea still carries them.

I did have the wood racks stain clothes at times, so be aware of that.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I can tell you which one NOT to get! I got mine at Target, it is also enameled metal but it's white. I've had it about a year and the white paint is coming of on all the clothes! I'm constantly having to rewash things when they dry with white streaks all over them. Last week, two of the legs fell off so it's definitely going bye-bye!

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Years ago, I got one from Service Merchandise--an A-frame with wings. It just recently died a horrible, drawn-out death. I've just discovered that Ikea carries the same design. I'll be replacing it the next time I drive past an Ikea (next month, I imagine).

It's been my favorite because I can hang (short things) things, drape things, and lay things flat. I think mine was either enameled or coated metal.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I LOVE the one I purchased at IKEA about a year ago (I believe it was new then) is an "A" frame that has two "arms" that you can fold up if you need them, but it folds down nicely for storage. I'm amazed at how much I can fit on this rack, I'll see if I can find it on their website and post the link. I think it was about $16. I did purchase another one there that just slid open and had 6 or so bars on it- it was really flimsy and the bars actually started bending with a damp sweater on it!

ETA: Can't find it on their web site, I'll pull out my catalogue at nap time and see if I can find the name.

I've also had wood die my fabrics...that's why I went for metal

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a wooden one with painted rods, that folds down into a neat little accordion-shape. Picked it up at Stuff-Mart for $7 or so.

It's a bit flimsy, and it's apparently held together with two little rubber bands (heaven only knows what'll happen when they break), but so far it seems to be doing the job. And it's prettier than a metal one.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoomom View Post
I LOVE the one I purchased at IKEA about a year ago (I believe it was new then) is an "A" frame that has two "arms" that you can fold up if you need them, but it folds down nicely for storage. I'm amazed at how much I can fit on this rack, I'll see if I can find it on their website and post the link. I think it was about $16. I did purchase another one there that just slid open and had 6 or so bars on it- it was really flimsy and the bars actually started bending with a damp sweater on it!
It's the FROST drying rack. You have to go to Secondary Storage, Laundry, Clothes Care, I think. And that's the one I'm buying to replace my old one.

And it's in-store only, not available via the website. (Who? Me? Obsess about drying racks . . . )

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
It's the FROST drying rack. You have to go to Secondary Storage, Laundry, Clothes Care, I think. And that's the one I'm buying to replace my old one.

And it's in-store only, not available via the website. (Who? Me? Obsess about drying racks . . . )
Nice find! I searched drying rack; dry; rack and didn't get what I wanted! Even knowing "frost" I can only find the wall one. But the name does ring bells, I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do

ETA: I guess I'm just slow- I found it, here's a pic for the OP http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=50095091

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get the wooden "accordian" style ones. Not only does the bars come out of their sockets, but the wind will knock them down, especially with a full load of laundry.

I got the A style one from IKea this past summer, and I love it! Its about $25Cdn here, and its enameled coated metal. I can do a full load of laundry and have it all hanging at the same time!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chel View Post
I had a wooden one (also held together with 2 rubberbands) the wood mildewed and stained my clothes.
I now have a metal one from Target.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0000CNQXC

Rust like spots are starting on the rods and getting on my clothes. (The metal is intact, it just has rust spots that I can't remove
: )
I never knew what the rubber bands were for, I just cut them off
:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No advice on the racks, I did want to say how much I LOVE the smell of clothes dried outside on a nice day. I just went upstairs to get something out of the bedroom and was greeted with the most wonderful smell (negative ions??) when I walked in. Laundry is haning up ready to be folded and put away.
Kathryn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Simple clothes rack with hanger

Almost 8 years I have bought the clothes racks. Its simple and nice one. Today, there are varieties of clothes rack in the market.
When you have a cloth rack, you can basically hang your clothes on it. That is why regardless of whether your clothes are wet they will get dry quickly and won't get any pointless folds.

You can hang as much as clothes you need to or even your laundry. On the off chance that you need to convey the laundries on wash day, basically, convey the entire rack with you as most racks accompany wheels. : thumb

1 - 20 of 20 Posts